*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    LM will lower CPU temps but for gpu the gains is lower. A good traditional paste can work if you're selling AW 13 since most users won't know how to handle LM.

c69k likes this.
  2. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LM change for the CPU yields possibly the most change. Not only do you massively drop your temperatures, you also cut your power consumption quite a fair bit because the fans don't spin up as much. Depends on your GPU model, the 1060 benefits slightly from an LM change while the 1050ti is fine with Kryonaut.

A couple of us have also placed some bits of metal on the PCH to drop the temps. I myself used an Australian 10c coin which has been working splendidly.

Heatsinking the NVME SSD to the copper plate underneath yields some good temps while if you can be bothered, you can completely eliminate NVME heat throttling by heatsinking the unit to the metal baseplate of the Laptop.

Finally, get Throttlestop 8.706, undervolt (aim for around -130mv on the core and cache to start, -35mv for the iGPU) this yields a lot of extra battery life, enable the SST to work on boot and set the SST to be 0 on the Performance Profile for maximum CPU performance plugged in and SST 128 or higher for power efficiency on Profile 2 which can be set to auto kick in once the plug is removed.

Also get in to the habit of logging battery wear %, if it goes above 7% in 6m or less, utilize your warranty and get a new one ASAP.

Vasudev and B0B like this.
  3. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi,

in hunt for new drivers I found new Toshiba XG5 firmware update driver in Alienware Area-51m Dell's driver update section.

It's version is AADA4106 ,A00.

HOWEVER. After updating I ran quick ATTO to see how a non-system XG5 will kick the hell out of itself compared to previous firmware, and this is what I got.

Yes, I stopped the benchmark or I would throw skateboard out of the window LOL

1.jpg

This is result on XG5's previous firmware.

2.jpg

I will revert to previous version and see if it helps.

UPDATE: LOL it is impossible to downgrade firmware, the AADA4105 installer says some real nonsense:
    3.jpg

I loaded AADA4106, thinking that maybe I can re-flash, but the installer says
    'this is the latest version and NOW F**K OFF !!! LOL'

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  4. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh man. That sucks. The 256GB drives are relatively cheap these days so I am sure you can pick one up if there is nothing you can do because the new firmware for TB stick is terrible.

c69k likes this.
  5. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like the writes are not hitting the DRAM cache.

Have you tried enabling Windows Write caching and disabling the write cache buffer flush? these settings might've been reset after the Firmware update.

c69k likes this.
  6. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okey, thanx guys. It is probably not the firmware. I just turned laptop on, still cold, ran ATTO and all is good till about half way through ATTO, then drive overheats and drops speed.

The drive was heavily throttling because of overheating as I took the cooling mod off it (now it is only storage and 'naked') and concentrated only on 970 PRO which is now my system drive.

However, based on reviews, even when cooled, I have never seen writes above 1.05 Gbps and max. reads about 2-2.5 Gbps in ATTO, anyways. Review(er)s say that if XG5 is NOT used as system drive, it performs much MUCHLOL better than if it is a system drive as it 'caches system files or something'.

I will re-run ATTO after I make him properly cooled sometimes in the future.

Now I definitely understand why I can feel and see difference with 970 PRO (when cooled).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's odd, if you're in return period RMA it. Read speeds are working as advertised.

c69k likes this.
  8. Fleischhaus

Fleischhaus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys has this happened to anyone?

Bluetooth spazzes out (Event ID 2) out, as in loses connection with my devices, and somehow causes my framerate in games to drop to exatly 4FPS. I am so confused and have no clue what's going on D:

I have Killer1550 WiFi/Bluetooth on latest driver

9. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I took delivery of the AW13 OLED today and LOL Woah! That display is insane!!! Post calibration 97% aRGB is quite the sight :)

propeldragon, Vasudev and c69k like this.
  10. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @B0B Have you calibrated with color correction in Intel graphics panel set to 'on' or 'off'?

I have not calibrated, all at default, but if I set color correction to 'off' all is more vibrant.

BTW. Did you really have to calibrate? I mean does it make huge difference?

Is it possible to share the profile?

Keep up good work, you are a good reviewer.

propeldragon and Gabri like this.