*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. gooface

gooface Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So an update regarding the damaged laptop from Dell outlet:

They are sending me a replacement laptop and what I plan on doing is "Frankensteining" myself a laptop out of the two and sending back what I don't like out of the two. (I will see if I can just remove that part off the new one and swap it myself since they wont send me the part by itself... I don't understand them but whatever)

They offered me either $60 or an exchange. (first person told me they wouldnt cross-ship, 2nd person did, so I am getting the replacement first before I have to send this one back) it will take up-to 8 days but I will get a replacement unit. At least in the end I will have two laptops to take parts out of and I wont be laptopless in the meantime.

Fun times....

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Digital1337

Digital1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    once you done Frankensteining - wait till the last week of your return window [I believe its still 30 days for outlet systems] - call up and tell them you still want to return the system altogether. Enjoy your additional discount ... :)

c69k likes this.
  3. gooface

gooface Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    lol

Well this gets even better now.....

The specs of the system they are sending me comes with 16GB of ram (the first one came with 8, and I bought 8 more on newegg for $50 so I get to return that now...)

It also comes with a Killer 1550 wifi card (first one came with the 1435 and I bought a 9260 from amazon for $20 so I get to return that now too)

So instead of sending me a piece of plastic to fix this they are sending me a laptop with more ram and a better wifi card.....(so I guess I get to pocket that $70 and return the stuff I bought)

I dont get this company but whatever I will take it lol (they told me originally they would charge $150 for 16gb of ram vs 8 in this thing) I even told the rep that it was better than mine was originally and I asked "Will I be charged the difference" he told me "no" so I guess that's a win lol

c69k likes this.
  4. Digital1337

Digital1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    wOOt ))
    How about the SSD models ? OLED vs NON-OLED screen ?
    Let me think what else you can salvage … lol )))

MadMax the damn thing apart !! ))))

c69k likes this.
  5. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Digital1337 likes this.
  6. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A few hours ago I installed 32 Gig HyperX 2666.

After resetting Bios (F9) and disconnecting normal and coin battery, so Bios would complain about time I put the sticks in.
    I took 2 automatic system re--starts for the memory to get recognised, but all is fine. Timings 15-17-17-35.

I launched games directly and first, I could not really tell the difference in the beginning, but then I went to some single campaigns and I get much less tearing (V-sync off, 60 fps cap), an extra 2-5 FPS, frame dips are pretty much non-existent now, all just feels smoother like 'mouse to pixel' latency got lower.

The gain was obvious in places where a lot of stuff was happening and I remembered the places good because of frame dips. This is history now.
    Another thing is that pagefile grew to 5 Gigs (set to system managed) and games suddenly love RAM, now 16 Gigs is reported EASY by Afterburner's RIva tuner OSD.

Overall, first I was like WTF you doing ... but YES it shows and clearly. Now I do not know if it is the size 16>>>32 Gigs or the timings, probably both.

Thanx to everyone who sent some memory benchmarks here !!!
    If you have any special requests re. new RAM, please ask.
    And... I scored Samsung memory chips !!!

aida64timings.jpg

new kingston.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  7. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Yes that’s exactly what I noticed. While FPS I don’t know as I always have it set to 60FPS was higher, it was the fact of the scenes heavily populated where FPS would drop, the recovery to my set 60 FPS was so much quicker.

Good stuff as It confirms my statement.

c69k and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Good.
    I think extra FPS gained is because of extra Free RAM. Keep running ISLC in background with auto cleaning if keep free RAM is <1024 for optimal performance.
    If you had a BSOD then W10 sets PF equal to RAM size even if system works fine. I set it to 4096 fixed size.
    I see detailed timings are somewhat similar for HYperX for 2666MHz freq with lowest being 15-17-17. If you had unlocked bios you can tweak it further.

Digital1337 and c69k like this.
  9. Fleischhaus

Fleischhaus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Event IDs 13 & 14

Fellow scientists,

I keep getting these IDs lately in conjunction with freezes during games or benchmarking. Not all the time, but with worrying frequency. According to Event Viewer, the error is caused by the Nvidia card. But it doesn't specify anything. I do get "warnings" as well saying that the Nvidia driver has crashed and recovered.

I am currently on Driver 416.94 (because the 417s suck bawls), super clean install, DDU and all. The issue was also present with the old ass driver from the Alienware support page, as well as with the 417s (which suck bawls!).

See signature for my system specs.

Any ideas are appreciated :|

Cheers!

10. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Check your GPU overclock, I suspect it's unstable.