*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Clean TREFI.png TREFI Interrupt.png
    Full AIDA64 Results.

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    c69k likes this.
  3. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I installed my HyperX 16 2666mhz ram cards and this time I let it boot up without powering it down when I first booted the laptop from changing to the hyper X ram cards. It proceded to have a prompt in bios that there was new memory card installed and I click “ok”. It booted as normal. Everything works perfect. I did notice while gaming my usual games there was slight increase, albeit not a lot but the frame rate in certain areas didn’t dip as much, and if it did it would recover faster to the FPS that I have set at 60FPS. I will test it more and see if it’s a placebo affect of me having something new thinking I see a difference!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  4. shutterbc

shutterbc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks. Found the parent link for this, in case anyone needs to get to it:
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/intel-hd-graphics-driver-download-4590.html

These appear to be the latest DCH (12/10/2018) same as on Intel's site by the way. Since I was using WHQL drivers previously from Feb 2018 I'll give this a shot.

Side note: after upgrading the NVIDIA drivers from WHQL to the latest "game ready" release (25.21.14.1735), I'm able to select DisplayPort as an option for display output. Somehow it didn't recognize it prior to doing this, and even now it seems a little quirky where I have to plug in the cable a couple times before the control panel recognizes there's an external monitor connected to the port. Weird.

Edit: So far the 36 hour test is good. I changed more than one variable: drivers and connection type. I will probably go back to the HDMI to see if the old behavior comes back.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. jordan114725

jordan114725 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do I know if I need to install this?

6. shutterbc

shutterbc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you aren't having issues, you don't need it. :)

7. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    After adding the two 16gb HyperX 2666mhz ram cards I have noticed my GPU temps a drop higher than before. It’s about 3c higher. Can it be the fact that the data from the CPU is faster and more efficiently processed and then sent back to GPU. Both are running faster which would generate heat?

The HyperX ram cards do seem to have an impact on the FPS. I don’t know if I have gained any additional FPS but it has seemed to cause less fluctuation in FPS. Areas on games which I know the FPS dips, with these new ram cards, the FPS are more steady.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    c69k likes this.
  8. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @cn555ic I tried to PM you, but somehow I am unable, the option does not show after clicking on your avatar.

The news from you is indeed very good !!! I just need to save some more euro and will buy it too.

It makes sense that GPU is hotter, as minimal frames are now higher and steady. I think this is directly connected with 16 GB vs. 32 GB plus maybe better timings=more info flows=more heat.

Just yesterday I read a very good article, that's why I am smarting around lol.

https://www.techspot.com/article/1770-how-much-ram-pc-gaming/

If it is no biggie for you please can you post cpuz screenshot (memory and SPD tab), and also AIDA64 Extreme 'cache and memory benchmark'. I want to see how 32 Gigs HyperX 2666 compares to 16 Gigs, obviously.

I am sure it is not only me getting 32 Gigs memory pretty soon. All Alienware models with locked processors (7700HQ?) since 2 years ago have pretty much the same hardware or Bios support for memory so your info might add A LOT to Alienware owners and other DELLs, especially with 7700HQ.

Thanx a lot for all the info so far!!!

Vasudev likes this.
  9. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It’s not increase frame rates as I always cap it at 60fps so I didn’t and will not notice any actual gain in FPS. The recovery when it dips on certain GPU dependent locations in a game seems to be faster to my set FPS, that is noticeable. For the most part FPS more or less is much steadier than before. GPU temps are definitely 2-3 degrees higher than what I have seen with the other stock ram cards

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    c69k likes this.
  10. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How do you get to benchmark of cache like marksman posted? I can’t seem to find it in the Aida64 extreme.