*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I meant pascal boost clocks being downclocked.

2. Fleischhaus

Fleischhaus Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Yeah it's Samsung.

I have fiddled around quite a lot with this. I can't seem to to do better on the core even with the memory at stock. My method is to raise the entire curve via ALT-click and drag so that I reach my desired max boost at my desired voltage, then cut off. Don't want that curve to be too steep. I'm currently at 1860MHz @950mV. That's an overall +89MHz OC.

Memory OC gave me another significant boost though. 1840ish ppoints on Heaven Bench now on 1080p, 4xAA and extreme settings.
    Theory is, that memory OC opens that bandwidth bottleneck a little, and it does seem to work.

Rise of the Tomb Raider, all settings very high except shadows on high: locked at 60FPS
    Witcher 3, everything on ultra except shadows on high: locked at 60 FPS
    CPU constant 3.4GHz, max temp 68°C
    GPU does downclock a little when it reaches 70°C but I don't think I can keep it below that. Maximum has been 73°C so far.

I'm happy with my machine :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    c69k, Vasudev and propeldragon like this.
  3. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Yeah I would like to know if 2666mhz is better.

c69k likes this.
  4. capitainealbator

capitainealbator Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @69k & @cn555ic: :)
    I just received my AW13 R3 and I received my memory 3 days ago... I'll mount it this weekend or at the beggining of next week.
    But I won't compare 2400Mhz with 2666Mhz since I'll install Hyperx's kit before the first laptop's start... (with 1TB NVME Samsung SSD 970 EVO)...
    ;)

propeldragon, c69k and Vasudev like this.
  5. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No WAY!!!!! Congratulations !!!

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Kuronos

Kuronos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I accidentally dropped my laptop on it's front side(logo side) and know the battery life is terrible and my desktop seems to be glitching? Anyone have any idea what I could have damaged? As you can see the real background image is showing a little bit on the top. Over time the glitch goes away..[​IMG]

7. jordan114725

jordan114725 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's Final Fantasy XIV, maximum settings with FPS uncapped. Uncapped FPS is ~65-68 where I was testing so capping at 60 makes a small difference, GPU load is about 94% instead of 99%. CPU is undervolted at -111.3mV. I notice hwinfo says my performance limit is either due to utilization or power limit, how much power is the 1060 allowed to draw by default? Would disabling Nvidia Optimus and the intel iGPU help lower temperatures as well?

Does Fan/CPU performance mode in Bios do anything good?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  8. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just played Battlefield 5 for the first time, and I am very positively surprised with the performance of 1060 and 7700HQ.
    I get 45-60 FPS (frame cap of 60 FPS) all maxed @1080p, but absolutely no tearing or stuttering (with V-sync OFF) and temperatures CPU 65-72C and GPU 65-70C. Fans are funnily only at 4200 and 4800 RPM max.
    I am very impressed with Frostbite engine. Everything is mostly destructible, awesome.

@jordan114725

Default GPU power draw is max. 85W (short term peaks).
    Normally around 60-70W with undervolt to 800mv and 1721 MHz. This is also the only setting where I never see POWER or VOLTAGE limits thanx @propeldragon for suggestion, only NO LOAD during cut scenes. Any other settings and I get other limits.

Disabling iGPU would not lower temperatures for sure. Can Optimus be disabled? I would still cap the game @ 60 FPS, you should get less frequent limits (GPU downclocks) and smoother gameplay and also a few degrees cooler CPU and GPU.

Turning on Fan and CPU performance mode in Bios gets basically your fans running all the time and when things heat-up, they ramp up to more RPM and sooner.
    But, honestly, I never tried, just read it on forums.

propeldragon likes this.
  9. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got a good deal on dual 8GB 2666MHz ram cards for $110 bucks. They didn’t have anything else besides G.Skill RipJaws. I bought it and if I didn’t like it I can return it within 30 days. My old ram was 2133mhz. I am not sure I am seeing any difference in gaming FPS. The computer booted with no issues.

propeldragon and c69k like this.
  10. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do the sticks run @ 2666 Mhz?

Please can you post screenshots of Mainboard, Memory and SPD tabs from CPU-Z of the new RAM, when you have time? Thanks for good info, man !!!

propeldragon likes this.