*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Fleischhaus

Fleischhaus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks!

Also, NEWSFLASH! MoBo came without a ****ing CMOS battery...... And I was wondering why the damn thing shut down every ten minutes.... WTF Dell T____T

c69k likes this.
  2. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hopefully you can get a CMOS battery. Took me a very long time to get one!

c69k likes this.
  3. propeldragon

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what triggers the fan to start up and the temp to go with it? Like what cpu temp will trigger the fans to spin. With the pch, gpu etc.. I've been trying to figure it out and when I look at hwinfo I just scratch my head. Cpu doesn't even hit 60c. Happens with youtube or downloading especially (makes sense). I don't know what sensor is triggering the fans.

4. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @propeldragon After either GPU or CPU or both reach 60C, fans start.
    Then, after temperatures get & stay steadily under 55C and do not exceed this value not even for a moment, they VERY slowly start spinning down to 0 RPM.

After they come to complete stop the cycle repeats if 60C is reached.

I just double checked, with Throttlestop and MSI Kombustor and HWinfo64.

EDIT: mobile 20XX coming soon.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidi...000-mobility-lineup-at-CES-2019.374321.0.html

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    propeldragon likes this.
  5. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I looked at data before when my laptop fans use to work when gaming. Now they never turn on since I bought the AGA. The fans seems to be controlled by PCH temps also. When PCH temps reached 50c the fans would stop spinning when I finish gaming. The CPU and GPU temps would decrease to below 40 but the fans would still spin but not as fast and slowly ramps down till PCh reaches 50c and then the fans turn off.

propeldragon likes this.
  6. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The fans are PWM controlled I suspect to take input from the independent CPU and Battery temperature sensors on the motherboard.

7. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Take look yourself with HWinfo. The cpu temps drops below 60 and fans will continue to work until the PCH temps reach 50c and it will turn off. The older bios from last year, the PCH temps where the fan turned off was 45c.

propeldragon and c69k like this.
  8. propeldragon

Reputations:
    Does anyone's laptops fans not spin in high performance mode when doing daily laptop stuff not gaming (thermal paste)? Power saver the fans don't trigger at all at stay below 40c on the cpu. I need to try balanced. High performance might not be possible especially plugged in.

9. shutterbc

shutterbc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ugh. Seriously considering selling my AW13r3 and just getting a completely different machine, which is a shame because I like this configuration a lot. When an external monitor is plugged in and I let the machine idle, it crashes with page table memory corruption (bugcheck 0x1a). Had logic board replaced under warranty. Reinstalled the OS at least 4 times. 3 sets of memory. I pretty much give up.

Is there anything about the HDMI port that could cause a voltage drop, and therefore memory corruption when it's plugged in? Maybe if I upgraded my HDMI switch or monitor? That seems like a long shot though.

I masked the problem for a long time by letting the machine suspend when plugged in and idle. However, I changed settings to always on when on AC power and kept the external monitor connected. Bam -- nightly BSODs again. So much for using this as a daily driver.

Hmm -- looks like there's a chance it's a driver issue still. This looks like it could be terrible to pin down though:
    https://community.osr.com/discussion/271926

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  10. Digital1337

Digital1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    FYI … EA's ANTHEM runs @ 35-60 FPS [avrg @45] - Ultra settings @ 1080p [still in alpha and no driver optimization].
    The game has a LOT of postprocessing, volumetric and lighting effects and I am VERY surprised to see how AW13 with 7700 and 1060 handles it !

c69k likes this.