*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have read in a few Alienware laptop posts that (additionally bought and faster) memory will run maximum 2400 if you bought your laptop from Dell with 2400 stick (s).
    I really hope for anyone that this is not the case, or that it can be fixed somehow.

I can not confirm this information. There might be still time for you to check this information and possibly act.

@capitainealbator

2. Digital1337

Digital1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, way to go.
    Did the same thing with mine, and later sold 8gb stick to a member here. That 32GB pack will give a solid punch [fck you Chrome lol !!]

3. Digital1337

Reputations:
    Freakin' bought it in Dec 2016 before I even got my system ..

Attached Files:

• RAM.JPG
      RAM.JPG
      File size:
      24.7 KB
      Views:
    shutterbc likes this.
  4. capitainealbator

capitainealbator Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @c69k: I hope it will run @2666Mhz and not 2400Mhz...:oops: Wait and see! ;)

@Digital1337: what a nice price! Unfortunately, here, in France, I paid it 296,99€ ... :(

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    c69k and Digital1337 like this.
  5. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I understand that. Part of it has to do with the size of the stick. A 256GB will always be slower than a 1TB because of the way SSD's work. I don't doubt that the 960 pro is much faster than a SATA drive, all I'm saying is that you probably won't realistically notice the difference unless you move around files a lot. Also, an NVMe drive will get much hotter than a SATA drive usually.

Not trying to hate on your purchase or anything, I just want to point out that NVME is not always necessary and going with a big SATA drive can save a lot of money whilst not really affecting the way you experience your system.

Digital1337 likes this.
  6. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

The card runs a tad bit hotter than the 256gb stick but my laptop is cooled rather well with a laptop cooler which helps. I also put some thermal pads over it. I rather invest in a proven brand which I have read many positive reviews, and plus I got a killer price during Black Friday sale $419 shipped. Only issue was it took a week to get it shipped to me.

Digital1337 likes this.
  7. Digital1337

Reputations:
    well dudes, how about setting some anti-records ?
    PCH @ 88-89c ... Anyone can beat that ?! ))

BF V brings my R3 to its thermal knees ... time for some mods; I think my thermal paste has dried out ...

8. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Do you have the PCH mod? The added heatsink really helps with passive cooling of the PCH.

9. Fleischhaus

Fleischhaus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Legacy Mode

It's me again! Well, I done got my MB replaced because of some weird fan response issue (what a hassle!) and now when the machine boots up, I get the Windows 10 Logo thingy instead of the cool AW boot screen and the system checks for "media".
    I understand that this is connected to the legacy boot option.
    Is it safe to turn it off or will my PC explode or something? Or will I have to reinstall my OS (which is considerably worse!)

Thanks my peeps!

c69k likes this.
  10. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Papusan and Fleischhaus like this.