*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It came with windows 10 pro 1809

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I doubt it. Mostly likely it auto updated to v1809. Its better to use v1709 or v1803 for best experience since there are data loss on v1809.

gschneider likes this.
  3. gschneider

Reputations:
    Any other useful tips for me to do? I saw a few things in this thread I will go back over, like throttle stop undervolting etc.

On the list:

4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Disable:
    Superfetch
    Widows Search
    Telemetry Data
    Killer Software
    Tobii Software

gschneider, Vasudev and c69k like this.
  5. gschneider

Reputations:
    I have done tobii and killer already, awful bits of kit I need to work on the other 3.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  6. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had some swaps done by Dell themselves, they seem to be using these two panels.

7. gschneider

Reputations:
    Guy have you got any tips helping my little laptop a long.

I have been looking at afterburner but I can't see how you set things to curve? Also I can't seem to work out how to do an under voltage?

I am used it using afterburner and increasing the memory and the core and also increasing the power limit. Power limit, temp limit, core voltage are all greyed out so I can't use them?

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  8. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @gschneider

Hi, power and temperature limit sliders in MSI AB are not unlockable on 13 R3. You can unlock core voltage slider =Google= but moving the slider has no effect on actual voltage.

For undervolting with MSI afterburner press Ctrl+f to open Voltages/Frequency curve editor.

When in Voltages/Frequency curve editor, key combinations to move the whole curve are:

- holding down CTRL or SHIFT or ALT + mouse click&drag on the curve 3 different ways.

Below is a picture of my stable undervolt + core frequency + memory overclock that all play best for my card as it always stays under 70C.

In default curve (still visible in the background ), I pulled up 875mV point to 1809 MHz with mouse and pressed APPLY and made sure the curve is straight all the way to the right, all points at 1809 MHz.

*Many people can go much lower with voltage at this frequency.

Capture.PNG

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Vasudev, propeldragon and gschneider like this.
  9. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

ALL IS STILL GOOD with Gelids and Liquid Metal !!!! (after 3 months of heavy use)

I am sure this information will help someone. This is a follow-up to the above message I posted on August 5 2018, exactly 3 months ago, I just realised lol.

As of today, during any game, CPU and GPU peaks max. 70C (normally keeps in-game at 62C-65C in average) and CPU core differences are ZERO and there is ZERO throttling for both CPU and GPU.

The reason I write this is that, obviously, LM has not pumped/dried out and my lazy approach to placing Gelids the way I did above, to my surprise paid off also in longer run.
    None of the above was possible without (luckily) trying Gelids.

Edit: I have never used other than Liquid Metal on this laptop.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    pathfindercod and Vasudev like this.
  10. turbo87

turbo87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    so I have had my 13R3 for about 10 days. Overall the unit looks brand new for a dell outlet unit. I really like that OLED screen and the size of the laptop. However CPU and GPU temps seem to be on the high side.

Couple of questions:
    -How do you turn on the HDR option for this laptop? I am running windows 1703 that came with the laptop. But do not see an HDR option in the Display properties. When I watch HDR videos on Youtube, I don't see an HDR option either. Do I need to be on later windows update to see HDR?
    -The CPU temps out of the box were high. But have been able to control them somewhat by undervolting. They are now in the mid to low 70s for high CPU games.
    -The GPU temps after a applying the change listed above by @c69k result in temps to be mid to high 80s for games. Reaching up to 90 degrees and then falling back down to mid 80s. I am not really sure that change in MSI afterburner are really helping my laptop.
    -The CORE CPU temps seem to be even. So I am assuming that the heatsink is seated properly?
    -Given that the laptop is only 10 day old, I don't want to open it up and repaste. What are the long term consequences of running the laptop at my temps? I have extended premium support warranty on the laptop.

Thanks.