*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. turbo87

turbo87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  2. turbo87

turbo87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I am have been thinking of getting the 13R3 via Dell Outlet. Is Dell Outlet a good idea for this laptop? Is extended premium warranty a good idea? Any burn-in concerns for the OLED screen? I will mostly be using it for gaming and basic computer work (Office, Web, etc). Thanks.

3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

Outlet is fine. Check under the description though. Some are "scratch and dent" mixed in there. But it will say so.

OLED screen on mine has zero issues more than 1 year old, and haven't heard of any others with burn in issues.

Only warranty you need is accidental damage. It really covers "everything", and is cheaper

c69k likes this.
  4. gschneider

gschneider Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi All,

Been a long time since I have been on here, Life took a huge down step for me ended up selling all my Alienware stuff and pretty much everything to fund solicitors bills due to a narcissistic ex. Anyway that is over and I am looking to get back into having a life and my own stuff again.

I have a decisions to make I have found a few Alienware 13 R3's on ebay ranging in price from £1300 to £1100 They are all 1060, 7700hq, 16gb, 512gb SSD and OLED panels, second hand or outlet units. I am just wondering whether you feel now they are still worth the buy at that price given the newer 6 core chips are out? I think I would like to go back to having an AGA again and my 34" Montior once I can save up again but for now some light gaming, office and music would be awesome. I have a new job so I need a laptop as its what I use for work. I can't handle the rubbish HP unit work gives us!

I have been toying with the idea of not getting an AGA and getting a Razer blade 15 or MSI GS65 with the 8750h and 1070max-q and just living with that and upgrading them every so often. Or even waiting for the new Alienware m15 and then having an AGA if the future.

Just after some friendly advice? My funds are limited however saving has never been an issues for me. Its now really whats the best deal for my £ right now. Plus my confidence has been smashed to pieces so making decisions that actually affect my future has been something that's been very difficult to do. Saving every single £ which could have gone on legal fee's has been my only thought's. Putting my life back together and getting access to my daughter has been a really heart breaking process, so its time for something of me to come back.

Thanks everyone

5. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would buy 13 R3 again and today (have it since Oct. 2017). All games run okey @ full settings at 1080p = I see no difference vs. 1440p. And re-sell value will be high because of OLED, which is, in my opinion the main point of having this laptop.

It is cool you write your personal story on the net, it definitely opens eyes !!!!

gschneider, Vasudev and Digital1337 like this.
  6. Digital1337

Digital1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @gschneider
    Damn. Well, I'm glad its finally over !!

As for the system - as much as I like the aesthetics of Razer [and Aero 15x for that matter] - the heat and throttling issue alone would keep me on a far side from it. Had Razer system once - never again - their Customer Service is virtually none-existent. There are pages of tales about it...

I personally enjoy my AW13R3 very much [been a very solid run since Jan' 17], and plan on squeezing every drop out of it. Performance wise - I honestly haven't had a single issue yet; chews pretty much everything I throw at it @ 1080p high/ultra combination. Latest example would be BF5 Beta about a month ago ... steady 60FPS at ultra settings.

As for the rest - cheer up mate, everything will be Ok !

gschneider, Vasudev and c69k like this.
  7. gschneider

Reputations:
    @c69k Thank you. I think sharing helps people see more. Also meets you get better answers

@Digital1337 I am a lot better so don't worry I can see the light. Just looking forward now.

c69k likes this.
  8. turbo87

turbo87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I ordered a basic 13R3 model (i7/OLED/256GB/8GB) from dell Outlet couple of days ago (thanks @ThatOldGuy for input). It should be arriving tomorrow. Any recommendations for updating the RAM to 16GB and the spare SSD to 1TB? Looking for reasonably priced options. Thanks!

Vasudev likes this.
  9. gschneider

Reputations:
    So i got one it arrived today. 1 day delivery :D

13r3 OLED, 7700hq, 16gb, 512gb NVMe, 1060. Now its time to decide what to play first lol

c69k, propeldragon and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Don't upgrade to latest W10. Try Witcher 3

gschneider likes this.