*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Lawrenzza

Lawrenzza Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Omg seriously? 9 hours? Share what other tweaks did you make. Is your machine 13r3?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2. Fleischhaus

Fleischhaus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ...according to Throttlestop Battery monitoring, i should have added! I haven't ever drained the battery in one sitting to test it :D
    Other than what I listed earlier, I haven't done anything to the machine. And yes 13R3.

Lawrenzza likes this.
  3. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I did buy a tube of Kryonaut when I bought the machine at the end of 2016/start of 2017, just in case I had to do an immediate repaste. But as I said temps for me were acceptable (I am in no was an enthusiast and just under 80 at load was perfectly fine for me). But now, as you say, theyve crept up slightly, so perhaps I'll whack out the tools! I always knew Id have to do it eventually, and Im insured up to the hilt so whats the worst that can happen...

A quick question on throttlestop - Im currently at -180mv on CPU and cache and -150 on iGPU. Ive never had a crash. This makes me think Ive done something wrong as it seems a little higher than others can go. I sort of expected it to fall over by now. Also Im not sure the actual effect on temps, although admittedly I havent checked. I followed a really good guide on notebooktechcheck I think, and it seems like I did everything correctly, but I keep bumping it up by 5 or so every now and then and still no crash....

Im on Skylake not Kaby lake and annecdotally Kaby gets you a bit further on battery. Other than that I found out about SST EEP last night on here and have that to 128 on a battery profile (...that I also found out about last night), I have a custom power profile that turns of AlienFX and limits a load of stuff and sets everything to max battery life, screen is 25% brightness, undervolt (if its working), passive cooling is selected as a preference and fans are pretty much off. Havent done anything with Turbo. I check my battery by hovering over the icon in the taskbar - its always super variable. Sometimes its 2.5 hours, sometimes is 7 hours. Is the throttlestop battery monitor much more accurate? Id say running it down in the past I got about 4.5-5 hours light use, but that was before the changes I found out about last night. Im also not convinced my GPU situation was up to scratch cause it should show nvidia GPU activity of 1-2% every 5 seconds or so, so somethings polling it ,and that must eat up some power. I think Ive fixed that now by turning off the telemetry.

Cheers guys!

Paz

4. Lawrenzza

Reputations:
    I really need to try your settings out. You have the OLED model as well right? I did used UTX to undervolt but helps nothing. With wifi and browsers on only gave me 3 hours of battery. I'll try your settings and report back here. Thanks mate

5. Lawrenzza

Reputations:
    I just downloaded throttlestop.
    And follow the tutorial from YouTube and reduce the voltage to -100mV for CPU core, CPU cache and Intel GPU.
    I also adjust power saving plan from alienfusion and selected everything in favorable for power saving.
    To my surprise when I hover my mouse over the battery icon, it only indicates 1hr45min.
    This is really bad and shocking.

6. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After owning the AGA for about a week. Purchasing the AGA has been one of the best items I have spent money on. It has brought my gaming experience to another level. I no longer worry about laptop temps anymore. All the settings are set to ultra at 2048x1152 resolution. Right now I am playing Assassins Creed Odessey at 60fps. My 13r3 with the AGA running with RTX2080 card is a little monster rig. Anyone having questions about the AGA, I hope this answers your questions.
    The only gripe I have is the AGA build quality. The box is cheaply made. Opening up the amplifier box is flimsy and cheap as hell!

F71271A8-1235-4B95-9E77-190EF0B0BF2F.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 2:16 PM
    c69k likes this.
  7. seabisquick

seabisquick Newbie

Reputations:
    Thunderbolt3 Dock for Alienware 13 R3

I contacted Dell support trying to get information on supported TB3 docks. They responded that officially they supported none. That engineers were currently working on verifying compatibility.

I ended up buying the Promise Technology TD-300 to test it out. Having no problems so far with it. Functioning output to dual displays, USB ports, and audio.