*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Elbow grease and a lot of time!

2. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Care to share your pics of cooling stuff you have done? Maybe I I can implement some of it to my setup!

3. Fleischhaus

Fleischhaus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nvidia driver issues above version 399.xx

I've had this now with all three 4xx.xx versions they dropped: The dGPU wakes itself up constantly, and for longer periods and permanently forces my CPU to run at full speed, resulting in high idle temps and annoying fan boosts. The process responsible seems to be ntsokrnl.exe
    No issues with 399.xx drivers.
    Anyone else experiencing this?

4. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had this 'GPU awake' too, but only if I forgot to close MSI Afterburner after gaming lol.

I Googled ntsokrnl.exe and it looks like it is windows search stressing in Services. Safe to turn off/disable if that is the case.
    I am on latest Nvidia driver 416.16 and have no problem like you described and also the driver is VERY good overall and also for gaming. I also use latest Intel 25.20.100.6323 and fresh install of 1809.
    After I install Nvidia driver I turn off Nvidia Telemetry Container service in Services, and disable all Nvidia startup as in pic below.

Capture.PNG

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Its a BIOS bug that happens occasionally. Happens to me as well on older 15 r2. One thing you can make sure in iGPU control panel, graphics power plan on AC mode must be balanced and on battery it must be max battery life.
    In nvidia cpl, use adaptive power mgmt mode instead of optimal.

c69k likes this.
  6. forbyefor_gold_eagle

forbyefor_gold_eagle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well said. The reasons I bought the 13 include the same you mention. And because I wanted the 13 (14) “ form factor—I’m tired of 15” laptops. I wanted compact and ‘truck-nuts’ gaming ability. Obviously I don’t see their financials but I feel they’re missing the boat here.

7. Fleischhaus

Reputations:

My MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner are always on and have never caused any issues until the latest Nvidia drivers. Furthermore, the whole ntsokrnl shebang (which I have obviously researched already as well) also only happens on the latest Nvidia drivers. I am thouroughly confused.

I'm back on the last 399.xx driver now and everything is running like it's supposed to.... :/

I'm running those exact settings on iGPU.
    Nvidia is running on "prefer max performance", which has never caused any issues before, either.

EDIT:
    According to the driver notes of Nvidia's 4xx.xx drivers, mobile GPUs are not supported... what? :D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Vasudev and c69k like this.
  8. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Fleischhaus

In Nvidia CP I have MSI afterburner set manually to use Integrated Graphics. As soon as I launch MSI Aftrbrnr, this 'pulsating starts and makes my CPU hotter by 10-15C. If I, beside this, browse net, my processor reaches 60C and fans turn on. They only turn off after CPU is under 50C.

I had this 'pulsating' with MSI open with every Nvidia driver since one year ago.

Capture.PNG

pathfindercod likes this.
  9. Fleischhaus

Reputations:
    Thanks everybody.

Seeing as my idle temps are below 40°C and my light workload temps stay well under 60°C, I think I'll just stay on Nvidia driver 399.xx for now....

10. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OMG. Assassins Creed Oddessey looks amazing and the first time playing the series and I love it!