*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Gabri

Gabri Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wow...im I really impressed..great work man!
    Thanks for the instruction

2. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also there are two little stick on support pads that you place under the Opolar unit to allow it to be aligned straight when it docks to the laptop. The Opolar unit will be hanging in the back without the little stick on pads. They will support it with the overlapping piece of the laptop cooler pad. Look at pic. Also notice the glue around the metal support bracket.

DE8E3EFA-29DD-41E6-BF8D-CBE4BF47A2B1.jpeg

7E4ABFC5-EDFC-4C5A-A06D-07E6DDCB617B.png

Not the clearest picture but just to give you idea what I am describing

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Gabri likes this.
  3. Gabri

Gabri Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would need that too, cause even my note is used on a stand. Are the sticks included or you made them by yourself?

4. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes they are included.

Did you order two units ?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Gabri likes this.
  5. forbyefor_gold_eagle

forbyefor_gold_eagle Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As and update- I got my 13r3 back from Dell AW a couple of weeks ago. They replaced the MB and the heatsink. I haven't had any problems so far.
    The VRAM is HYNIX and not sure if it's due to this or the die but I think I may have got some 'Gucci' GPU or something because this thing renders detail and image quality way better and smoother than the MB's I had with Samsung or Micron VRAM and frame-rate is a little higher. It's visibly obvious when running benchmarks or the only game I play right now which is GR Wildlands. I have noticed however that the GPU does run hotter than my previous boards while the clock is also higher and consistent (above 1800MHz using an offset). All these things may be due to some ninja cooling stuff I have done. I'll share it all with pics and graphs when I get the chance.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Looks like the m15 is going to be successor of the AW 13. Sad there is no mention of OLED. As for comparing overall size and weight it is about 1.2" (30mm) Wider, 0.23" (6mm) longer, 0.04" (1mm) thinner. Also 1 Lb (.44 kg) lighter.

One of the things I like about the AW 13 is the centered keyboard and track-pad. Sad they felt the need to cram in yet another numpad.

They mention that there is potential for Vapor chamber cooling down the road with other CPU and GPU skus.

Alienware 13:
    Dimensions 330 x 269 x 22 mm
    Weight 2.6 kg

Alienware m15:
    Dimensions 362.86 x 275 x 20.99 mm
    Weight 2.16 kg

They say it has "thin bezels". Not really though. Just narrow in one direction.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah "Other omissions from the Alienware m15 when compared to the Alienware 15 R4 include G-Sync, Core i9, and GTX 1080 options. Dell says future SKUs may include these options with the potential for vapor chamber cooling to aid in heat dissipation"

I wonder how the unlocked i9-8950Hk will perform in this chassis:D Already a throttling mess in the orginal chassis:p

Vasudev likes this.
  8. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just about every thin and light gaming notebook out nownisna throttling mess. Mostly all fixable with a little elbow grease.

9. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Glad I have a nice decked out OLED 13 with good warranty. Might pick another one up I like this little thing so much.

c69k likes this.
  10. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hate the new design. If this was offered as my choices today I would have gone with the razor 15 for sure even with hefty price tag.

With that said now I try to keep my 13r3 working as long as possible.

c69k and Vasudev like this.