*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hmmm here its certainly very hot almost 30-35C. If I get it for a sweet deal I'll buy it.

c69k likes this.
  2. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah it’s not a gimmick but if you do get it buy two. One for each side will help you for sure. I don’t usually recommend products but this one works if you don’t mind added fan noise but less heat versus noise.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Your computer will, but your heat-sink fans wont. You're going to destroy those little motors forcing all that air with other fans. OK if your willing to source / replace them yourself (or extend the warranty and have Dell do it, if you don't mind the techs touching your laptop)

pathfindercod likes this.
  4. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I am not worried as the laptop fans never even spin to max Rpm like before. In fact GPU fan max Rpm
    Is only 4200 and CPU 3700. They use to crank continuously at 5200rpms for GPU and 4700 for CPU respectively I believe and that was continuously during gaming. You are speculating on something that is not proven.

The laptop cooler fans TBH doesn’t even blow enough air to the point it would even reach the fans. It’s a mild cool breeze if anything. The cooler cools the underside of the laptop and allows air circulation. That is not plausible to even have a chance to overspin the laptop fans. As for the Opolar units, they are vacuum fans.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  5. Gabri

Gabri Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I followed the "Opolar discussion". I was wondering to buy one on Amazon, but I found 2 similar Opolar systems, with exact same price, but I can't find any difference between the two! The model numbers ar LC06 and LC06D2.
    Do you know more?

6. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If they look exactly the same then I would think it should be the same product.

7. Gabri

Gabri Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, they seem the same, but there should be a difference I can't get (they're on amazon.it, just search for Opolar)

8. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes. They are the same as the two that I have. Wow. It seems as though the prices have gone up. Two weeks ago I bought one for 23 usd.

From my testing. Use the grey rubber gasket but have the bigger lip on top as suppose to the pics you see in their ads with the bigger lip on the bottom. Heat rises up so you want the top portion on the Alienware vents to be completely sealed so the Opolar can vacuum that hot air out. I have the two Opolar units taped to the cooler pad. So when I remove the laptop, all I do is slide the Opolar up and it stays on the laptop cooler. When I place the laptop back on it’s simply sliding the Opolar units down to vents and securing it with the little tabs on each corner. It’s super easy to take on and off the laptop if you have it on a laptop cooler also.
    The red fastener as well as the plate comes with the unit. The metal plate that locks onto the Opolar unit itself, I have permanently glued it so it can’t come loose. You will understand when you get the unit. If you don’t glue it permanently there is some play on that metal plate. The red fasteners has an adhesive tape to secure it, but that doesn’t hold it in place and lifts up when the units are docked to laptop so I also use beta link glue to secure it to laptop cooler.

E96F14F6-2237-40EA-81E8-AEA98C6C959E.jpeg

This photo shows the Opolar units push upwards so I can take laptop off.
    F482EEAB-FFA5-4D75-9360-98ADA62486B1.jpeg

This photo shows permanent placement of my units after laptop is removed. When I place my laptop back on the cooler, all I do is slide the Opolar units Down and it docks with the vents and then use the fasteners from Opolar unit to seal the top portion of the gasket so it seated flushed on the top vent.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Gabri likes this.
  9. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I will remain skeptical until the long term results come in, in theory, even as a vacuum fan, you are increasing the static pressure but without knowing how much of an imbalance of static pressure there is between the laptop and the opolar fan, you cannot really know how much extra strain is being placed on the weaker fan. I bought an Opolar for my W230SS back in the day, while yes, there was a temperature drop, the noise and hassle of setup was not worth it.

My guess is, there should be no issue because I suspect the laptop fan is 5V driven with PWM control while the Opolar is also 5V driven (USB limitations). I can't dig up the specifications for the Opolar unit but I doubt it is significantly higher torque than the internal units.

specs for the internal fans
    https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=26816

EG50060S1-C290-S9A
    DC 5V - 0.32A
    5.1CFM

EG50060S1-C300-S9A
    DC 5V - 0.35A
    7.6CFM

After some digging, the Opolar is up to 2.5W which is around .5A @ 5V.

I'll do these torque calculations some other time, too sleepy now, but I'm guestimating the Opolar's RPM to be around 4000 judging by the noise at full power.

Cursory rough calculations assuming identical fan dimensions (which in reality isn't due to the obvious size differences between the internal and Opolar fans) indicate the Opolar motor has roughly twice the torque of the internal laptop ones all else being equal. However, the Opolar unit is driving a fatter fan which means that airflow is higher but static pressure is lower (i.e. less pressure for a given amount of power).

The calculation is complicated because the Opolar unit itself also acts as a significant resistor to airflow (which reduces static pressure).

For the Opolar to damage the laptop fans, it would have to generate so much air pressure difference that the laptop fans significantly overspin above the rated specs of 5200RPM.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  10. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow Marksman. That very deep! I am no where close to your mindset and expertise in the matter! I am just a novice gamer but like to modify and tweak things. I understand there are many calculations to derive to see if these Opolar units are good or bad for the laptop fans but I will leave that to you guys to calculate. I am just your average consumer buying something and trying it out and seeing results. I would bet though the manufacturer would have done some calculations before even offering it to the market just to protect them from lawsuits and such.
    Noise levels for sure will be much higher than normal but that’s a compromise the end user has to deal with if they want cooler temps but at the same token the fans from the laptop will no longer blow at its peak rpms which IMO equals out the noise level. The laptop fan revving at 5200 rpm for GPU can get quite loud along with CPU revving at 4700 rpm. It sounds like a hair blower when it maxed out. With my dual Opolar setup there is a 1000rpm difference in my fan curve which is huge.

If there was 100% complete seal of the vents then I would agree it may hamper the stock fans but it’s not even close to a perfect seal. I still think you guys are over thinking it too much but there will always be varying opinions about this and at the end it will just be just that. You won’t buy it.

There are many of us who are using LM which data has shown incredible results. We all know the inherent dangers with the application of LM, but in search of cooler temps we tread forward and not worry about the inherent dangers. This can also be the same with these vacuum fans. I would worry more about LM application over these vacuum fans and for me personally these fans are one of my best mods besides LM repasting I did.