*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I value your expertise In electrical engineering but TBH the pressure which is exerted onto the MB will not harm the MB or solder joints. You are definitely correct about the 13R3 model. It’s passive cooling is not as good as the 15R3 models. We are not not creating enough MB flex where you can see it actually warping unless you modded it with a heatsink that is too thick and didn’t follow Iunlock DIY. As for the thermal pad backcover wick mod, the thermal pad compresses rather easy and is NOT rigid and there is no pressure once you compress it and it molds around the accompanying contact points. We can go on and on with this but IMO high temperatures on components is the number one reason for MB failure. Reducing temps albeit the trade off of having some slight pressure on the MB is up to the end user. Both have their pros and cons. There are different ideals everyone believes. You are not wrong in your opinions but I beg to differ as this data I can look at all day and night. It’s a thing of beauty

52F5ED68-4976-4064-BBD8-0E07F79934A1.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @cn555ic If you get higher temps on PCH with heatsink mod, then try removing the hsf and replace it with thermal pads. Look at temps on high load vs idle/no load. Because higher idle temps by 1-2C will see a drop of 5-10C on max load on NVMe disk.
    PCH temps like rinneh said (<75C) should make your PC last. But I feel keeping it below 85C should be good. AW upped the throttling temps from 75C to 90C.

3. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My PCH temps are fine on load. It hovers around 70-72c and no higher. This is on a 13R3 and you really cant compare to rinneh laptop as his chassis is a 15 inch model which has far superior passive cooling as well as larger fans. Btw. Just because AW up it to 90c on PCH for throttling doesn’t make it okay. They are doing this because of all their issues with uneven heatsinks and thermal throttling. They even said cores at 95c are normal l! Lol

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    SkidrowSKT, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    WEll to be fair its Intel who says up to 100c is okay. l would not consider over 85c to be okay for a CPU flipchip though. Temp sensors can be 5c off.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    My PCH is very hot! At 35C it touches 85C.

6. Fleischhaus

Fleischhaus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am suddenly getting around 10% background CPU usage caused by a system process called "ntsokrnl", keeping my idle power consumption between 7 and 15 Watts where it used to be 3-7 Watts. CPU is also turbo boosting all the time, keeping idle temps in the mid to high 50s where they used to be in the mid to high 40s. I tried a clean boot and a health restore, nothing helped.
    I haven't changed any settings prior to this.

Any ideas?

7700HQ (-145,5mV, SST EPP 64), 16GB RAM, 512GB Toshiba SSD, GTX1060 (831mV, 1810MHz)

EDIT: Turns out the culprit was the latest Nvidia driver, which somehow caused the GPU to constantly wake up and shut back down, in turn stressing the CPU. Or something like that. Rolling back to the previous driver fixed the issue for me!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    c69k likes this.
  7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Disable Windows Search:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Services > Windows Search

Right click for properties and "Stop" and set start type to "Disabled"

Also disable Superfetch (found in same list as windows search)

c69k and Fleischhaus like this.
  8. Fleischhaus

Fleischhaus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I had already done that even before I got this weird issue - thank you nonetheless!

Turns out the problem was the newest Nvidia driver!

ThatOldGuy, c69k and Vasudev like this.
  9. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is this the new drivers with RTX support ?

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    More likely. I always use developer driver suggested by j95.