*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Detacho

Detacho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is a very interesting product. It makes sense to me.
    How loud does it get at max settings? Like would people in the same room be annoyed?

2. triple_a

triple_a Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Windows Hello camera is annoying. It randomly does not work, I would say maybe 50/50. I already know when it won't work because the red LED does not blink next to the camera. Bloody annoying. Anyone else seeing this? It has been this way from the beginning. The webcam itself works because even when the Windows hello thing doesn't work I can go to VLC and stream video from the built in cam just fine.

3. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It has fan settings of 1-13. I keep it at 7-8 for gaming and for demanding games I have it set to 10-12 and it’s a drop louder than your laptop fans at full TILT! It does get quite loud from 10-13 but the fan noise doesn’t have a high pitch sound and it sits behind the computer screen. Lower setting of 9 and under and it’s barely audible. This would be ideal for people who wants lower temps that are afraid to use liquid metal. My temps numbers obviously would be lower than people who use traditional paste but it should still work. If you are worried about annoying someone with fan noise then you have to justify what is more important to protect your hard earned asset or not butt hurt anyone. It also a matter of human nature. You adjust to new things and after a while it becomes normal.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Detacho likes this.
  4. Detacho

Detacho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You are awesome. I think I'm going to get this. Are we all in agreement that this little dongle wouldn't cause any sort of damage to the internal fans on the highest settings?

5. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have checked with the laptop cover off the bottom of the laptop as my table is glass and turned in the Opolar to setting 13 max to see if the fans would spin and the stock fans does move ever so slightly which IMO can NOT damage it and overspin the stock fans as some have stated. These fans you can blow air with your mouth and they move! It Doesn’t require to much to spin them! Those who state it will not be good for the fans are overthinking it way to much. I have read many reviews on Amazon and not one stated it messed up their fans. Those who have not tried this cooler and immediately state it will mess up the stock fans are not even giving a product a chance and if they did try it, they would think otherwise. So unless someone purchased this and it’s proven it does indeed overspin fans, their opinions is just that an opinion. My data shows otherwise that it works for the 13R3 and I know for certain I will be using is everyday.

6. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here is another screen shot of my data today. Almost 2 hours gaming of “The Division” and “Shadow of the Tomb Raider” with Opolar LC06. As soon as I am done gaming, it is so remarkable how fast the components cool down compared to before with just the stock fans pushing the heated air out from heatsink.

833BB173-1047-4396-8C9E-B9E0944D6293.jpeg

15hrs and Vasudev like this.
  7. Digital1337

Digital1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thinking of adding another one to the left side ? )

8. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am not sure if it will further decrease cooling temps of laptop. When I first installed the Opolar cooler it was on the left side and the data for some reason showed no decrease in temps on either CPU or GPU. I was pretty bummed. I then installed it on right side vents and to my surprise it worked awesome. So I am not sure if it will further decrease temps installed on both sides but I can try for testing purposes. I ordered another one just now :). Found one cheaper price at $25 USD

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  9. Digital1337

Digital1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And I got mine delivered today; will give it a shot later tonight [still at work] and report back ;)

15hrs likes this.
  10. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cool keep me posted. When I get the other one I will test to see what 2 units will do!

Please post your results when you have a chance.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018