*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In my experience with the Graphics amp, the CPU temps are about 20c lower when the internal Geforce is disabled and the CPU fan hardly turns on. Just stays around 60c.

Redteam, Vasudev and triple_a like this.
  2. triple_a

triple_a Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've seen some reports that using graphics amp on internal display of laptop is problematic for some. Windows insists using internal GPU instead. I'm planning to use the amp exclusively with the internal display and if it doen't work it's a dealbreaker for me. Have you had experience with this?

propeldragon likes this.
  3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not really, i didnt extensively use it with the internal screen.

4. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not so much just problematic but apparently you take a pretty big performance hit too. This is because the data needing to be transferred back to the system eats up precious x4 PCIe bandwidth (which is just barely enough for modern desktop class GPUs already).

c69k likes this.
  5. triple_a

triple_a Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not worried about the performance hit. The screen resolution is only 1440p, which the 1080 can handle well even with some performance lost due to the loopback. There have been tests and it doesn't take that big off a hit.

I might as well give it a go.

6. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It’s not bad. With my 1080ti, I can run everything I’ve tried at 1440p, ultra, 60 FPS, on the internal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    While waiting for my 13r3 to
    Come back from repair. I went out and bought a 2018 Razor 15 inch with 8th gen chip with 1060 qmax and 144 hz refresh rate. This thing is a beast compared to my 13R3. Core temps are hovering around 75-80 and PCH has really low reading of 60 max. Same game FPS on Alienware was 60-62 and on razor 80-82 FPS on same settings. Screen is really nice. They seem to have finAlly fixed all the issues. Even though I want to keep the razor but it’s quite expensive so I will have no choice to return it when my laptop gets back from service center

8. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What was a big turn-off for me as far as the Razor machine is concerned was the lack of AGA (cuz the TB3 docks suck) and the 144hz screen. That thing chews power like anything so I doubt the battery life is any good.

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Must be a CPU related game then.

But Razer still used poor quality chokes, vrm's etc I would wait at least for 1 year to see if issues pop up . Issues I can deal with, but those type issues cannot be rectified by consumers.

c69k likes this.
  10. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My laptop is finally being sent back to me for the original issue of the battery not charging. I got the report back of what was done. They basically changed out the entire system from
    MB, heatsink , battery, cables and cords and the lcd panel. It’s basically a brand new computer. Every component besides the shell has been changed.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Vasudev and Gabri like this.