*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

The hotspot of those memory chips is in the middle so I would not worry too much about that. But checking you rphotos and seeing the paste that they used show they need an enormous amount to cover up the gap. So it seems like the heatsink is positioned slightly too high and thus not creating efficient contact for the best possible cooling results.

2. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think you're right. I noticed that now my core temps are having a big difference in temperature (6~8C). Might have to open it back up and flatten the heatsink a bit.

3. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They send a new power adapter and it still doesn’t charge. Diagnostic shows nothing wrong but battery doesn’t charge. Next step is sending it to repair center for them to find the issue and fix it. What are your experiences with these dell repair centers? The last two issues they had tech come to my home to replace parts. This time everything checks out with no issues but battery doesn’t charge.

Gabri likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Check the DC cable beside the battery, it might be faulty.

5. Gabri

Gabri Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had a battery problem too, after a dell's tech intervention: my note didn't recharge (it wasn't "reading" the power adapter). Today another tech came and...it was just the internal battery cable not well connected! All it took was just to push it well, and everything worked :)

I did some temp tests, with the new motherboard and heat skin: temps are better, but not great..maybe you could telle something about. I will post the screenshots as soon as I have time

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  6. defiantmac

defiantmac Newbie

Reputations:
    Just purchased a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING on sale and have the Amplifier with a 13 R3. I was wondering if anybody had any pointers/tricks before installing. I have read some things about the BIOS and video drivers that seemed inconclusive. Any help would be appreciated as I am in the middle of moving and have limited time to research everything.

Thanks.

7. Ihtfp06

Ihtfp06 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Should be pretty painless. The SC gaming is a reference board so even though it’s not officially supported it should have zero issues with compatibility. Just don’t expect much help from Dell if your setup doesn’t work (if you have issues, try borrowing an FE board to test out in the AGA).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just made sure your video drivers are up to date. Shut down, plug it all up and boot up. Everything should settle in place.

9. Gabri

Gabri Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So, to recap: since I have the Alienware r13, I had a problem with audio distortion when connected to Internet. Dell tried with remote assistance to resolve (they said drivers problem) but they can't succeed. I also had hi temps issue (30 min of game= almost 100°).
    So, they sent me a tech who changed: motherboard, heat skin and speakers.
    The audio problem distortion was solved.
    For the temps, they are better now, but still a bit high. Tech didn't repaste with my Grizzly, because the heat skin already had installed paste for the processor.

I post some screenshots of HWinfo taken after about 30 mins of game session (The Division hi res full details).
    Could you give me an opinion?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      185.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      203.9 KB