*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anything higher than a00 would be newer. A00 would be the release with no revisions. Sometimes the an a01 or a02 could just be a different manufacturer/supplier. Could also be a design fix or replacement.

Gabri likes this.
  2. BJplusMilo21

BJplusMilo21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Received an Alienware 13 R3 on the 29th.

Results from Real Bench indicate that the device power throttles and reaches temperatures of 96c.

Despite the fact that:

Core Voltage Offset and the cache being set to -0.120 mv.

CPU performance mode being enabled.

Before re-pasting does anyone have some other suggestions for avoiding power throttling?

Please know that everything else is set to default settings.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  3. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    undervolting is the only way. You'll almost always hit that 80 watt gpu limit.

4. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since you already undervolted and still see those high temps, Repaste is the only other thing you need to try, and if temps still persist then it might be a defective heatsink

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  5. forbyefor_gold_eagle

forbyefor_gold_eagle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry for the delayed response. When the Battery Saver kicks in (if you have put Battery saver to kick in at a lower percentage--until it kicks in, the meter will show a lower projected life--I have mine set to kick in at 95%)I have at least 7hrs. on the Windows Battery meter and have seen it as high as 10 hrs. I have made it to nine hours using a minimal amount apps, hibernating in between, which isn't a realistic and continuous workload.

With a reasonable amount of productivity type work using word, note, email, chrome and excel, I have made it to 6-7hrs. of use.
    ALL of these with the mods to the settings that I mentioned. I don't think the OLED has much to do with the battery life (assuming you dim the screen and use the Tobii software)

6. BJplusMilo21

BJplusMilo21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Might hold off on the repaste as the problem only exists when I exceed a 16GB load.

In fact it sits comfortably at 80c when utilising Intel Burn Test at a 16GB load.

7. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just played vermintide 2 for and hour and look at those core differentials. I recently did a repad and repaste and used gelid and phobya. If anyone is curious, you need to compress a .5mm pad just a tad for the cpu chokes. Gpu side, only the vram didn't need to be compressed to a custom height.

Attached Files:

Digital1337 and c69k like this.
  8. lulunightrider

lulunightrider Newbie

Reputations:
    hello everyone is just sick how many posts this threat have! anyways i got 2 question.

1. can i use usb c power bank to supply my alienware 13 3r 2017 with 1050 in it and 8gb of ddr4 i5 7th
    2. is there any good car laptop charger i can use to supply power to my bank while driving? please help me out thanks in advance ps i need good name of devices u recommend me

9. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I've tried to find information around here, but I haven't found any final answer. Is there anyway to have stereo line-in in this laptop? I'm trying to connect to the mic in in the left but it seems that it is mono only. And I've been unable to get the "Line In/Realtek Audio" under Recording Devices to appear as plugged, neither connecting to the mic nor to the headphones. Any clue?

10. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Replying to myself, it seems that I had disabled the HD Audio Manager, so I wasn't getting a popup when plugging a cable into the mic to select mic/line/headphones. Now it works as it should. I confirm that plugging a line cable into the mic and selecting line enable that recording source in the recording devices and also records stereo as it should.

Gabri and c69k like this.