*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think you already know what follows. Lift back of laptop by 2 cm for air flow (minus 5-10C). Undevolt both CPU and GPU (minus 10C). And then re-paste. (minus 10-15C) if you are on stock thermal paste.
    No one will do it better than you. It is 1-2 hours work.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So you didn't notice any gains in write speeds? If so, you can amp IRST Limit from 80 to 1024 and see disk benchmarks, gaming and real world tasks. This is an experiment so do a macrium reflect image backup.
    With the tweak, I noticed my TLC can give more write speed consistently rather than working at a speed of 150MB/s.

c69k likes this.
  3. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unless you are lucky and have a tech savvy Dell tech, I wouldn't bother with getting them to "re-paste". All they will do is replace the heatsink. In your case that would do more harm than good since your core differences are very low (good). You should do the repaste yourself and undervolt.

Gabri likes this.
  4. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Repaste isn't 1-2 hours. If you've never done it before and haven't worked on computers ever in your life, then maybe. If you've done it before, you can be done in under 20 minutes on these machines. They're relatively easy to work on. The only hard part is getting the middle chassis part off without breaking off the plastic tabs.

Gabri likes this.
  5. Gabri

Gabri Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I never worked on notebook: I don't have the right equipment or the necessary time to learn how to do it :(
    Would it bad to keep the notebook just as it is?

6. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's at least an hour if you want to do a good job and read everything. I prefer to keep it casual and do it right so you don't have to open it up again.

Gabri likes this.
  7. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So if you uncheck windows write cache buffer you should disable C1E? Why? Curious.

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    c states lowers R/W speeds sometimes.

propeldragon likes this.
  9. Redteam

Redteam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    All the new 13 R3'S on the USA site now seem to come with the OLED screen, you don't seem to be able to get the 1080P IPS anymore. Anyone know why that is?

10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OLED is the major selling point of the AW 13. I can't imagine too many IPS sold considering the XPS 15 has better IPS screen and is similar weight and only 1 inch wider chassis.

My guess is they also stopped making all forms of the AW 13, and they are selling off their stock. They probably sold all their IPS versions to a retailer like Best Buy or something.

c69k likes this.