*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. John Rosenthal

John Rosenthal Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My penny...
    Do you think it is normal, I mean, expensive electronics out of the box straight from manufacturer to do immediately disassemble, make some rework, resoldering, re-paste etc?
    For example, do you was made some rework, if you purchased new car from Europe or TV made in Mexico etc.? Nope! Why we must to made some rework most of brand new goods made in continental china? Maybe those guys don't know how to do the good quality thing.
    IMHO - for our money, it's NOT normal

c69k likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its become a trend these days and helps marketing too saying "For optimal perf. we allow our PC to be repasted and repadded"
    3-4 years ago, this wasn't the case thermals were good for atleast 1 yr before needing a repaste for Day 1 like thermal performance.

pathfindercod likes this.
  3. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its been the normal for years. Pretty much almost sense the beginning of enthusiast high powered / high end notebooks. Some of the earlier AW laptops I owned that were contracted to Clevo were pretty good but always did extra to them as well. I don't think Ive owned a gaming notebook that I have not cracked open to "adjust", EXCEPT the current 17r4 I have. Our of the box it runs 1-2 core differential and the cpu never exceeds 74 and the GPU stays in the low 60-mid 60's while playing BF1 for couple hours spurts. I will repaste at some point, just don't have time right now or see the need to for what little I use it.
    I suggest people that don't want to fiddle with it order from a MOD company like HID or just buy a good extended warranty and use it like you stole it and not worry and let warranty deal with it over time.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In Summer season you will repaste it. Those temps looks fine on stock paste and after repaste the situation will be much much better.

pathfindercod likes this.
  5. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Eh maybe. My wife keeps the house around 68f in the summer. Need to buy a new HVAC unit this summer :(

Vasudev likes this.
  6. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well I’m not getting my R3 :(
    It was supposedly shipped 3 weeks ago and was stuck at the FedEx warehouse for weeks without moving so I called them and asked what’s going on,for like a week straight and they just kept stringing me along saying well look into it and get back to you.
    Guess what they never called me back at all so by this point I’ve had enough and talked to some supervisor/manager or whatever and there like “oh yeah your shipment was damaged so we’re not able to deliver it”!
    By this point I’m really pissed and ready to explode but I refocused and calmly asked why didn’t you tell me that before and guess what he says to me ‘’it was lost so we didn’t know where it was’’.
    So it’s back on to ready to explode mode and ask why I didn’t get contacted at all because you have all my contact info, no answer!
    So in anger I called Dell and explained what was going on and there like yeah no problem will ship you a new unit but we have to look into the whole FedEx shipment debacle and it might take some time.
    OK DONE CANCEL MY ORDER! and that was that.
    Thank you FedEx you are the most incompetent pos delivery service out there.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. John Rosenthal

Reputations:
    I agree, repaste it's like a tuning, fun pastime for enthusiasts.
    But I talking about more serious thing, like step down build quality and poor components for electronics in general.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. John Rosenthal

Reputations:
    maybe it's good reason to wait little bit and will order R4

IKAS V likes this.
  9. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well with computers there are temp sensors so we can see what's going on and company's are not going to use the best thermal paste or thermal pads so that's where us enthusiasts come in to play. TV's are basically plug in play and cars well, I don't have to explain how they have to work for legal reasons.

Vasudev and John Rosenthal like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    For the record, I bought $300 dollar basic laptop from lenovo and temps were fine for 1.5 yrs before needing a paste job. After few years, I spend $3000 on AW15 and I needed to repaste or call dell after a month for HSF replacement and breaking my good parts like some toys!