*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do we have a new lineup coming? I didn’t see real evidence we will.

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    See Dell's Mobile Connect and AWs as well that signals early 2018 models with coffeelake or even ryzen, haahhaa.

tungd678 likes this.
  3. tungd678

tungd678 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    if they don't use tripod and try to make it thinner then I think aw with ryzen/ryzen 2 is possible :cool:

Pete Light and Vasudev like this.
  4. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's the classic pattern of thermal throttling mate, averages are quite high by the sounds of it and it's all while being throttled back and not running at its full potential.

Cycle is:
    1) Add more voltage to CPU core to power it to the max turbo frequency (let's say 3.6 GHz)
    2) More voltage gradually increases temperature due to poor cooling to a pre-determined thermal temperature limit (let's say 100C)
    3) Motherboard will then slash voltage input to the core down to a fraction of what it needs to maintain max turbo frequency
    * With a lack of power, the CPU has no choice but to drop the core frequency, let's say 800MHz
    4) Mother board will then gradually start increasing voltage every few seconds resulting in frequency stepping up and up respectively
    5) Until the temperature limit is reached again (normally slower this time as stepping up gradually delays the process)
    6) Now steps 3 to 5 just cycle over and over... Sucks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  5. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I expect it but I also can’t. I can’t see it being ready without a new gpu. 8th gen is not really a reason to do a revision alone. We had had skylake and Kabylake in the r3.
    But I’m really curious as to what they will achieve in r4. Will we get a 2tier card like 1070 but stronger performance (2070) that is stronger than desktop 1080 or 3rd tier again like 1060 (2060) and it’s stronger or as strong than a 1070 ti? I’d imagine it be at least gddr5x in the 2060 so hence about or better than 1070ti. And gddr6 in the 2080. ANd maybe 2070 with lower specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only thing I can imagine is 6 core CPU H series on larger models (no new revision)

Possibility of 65W or 100W Intel + AMD G series in AW 13 for new revision. The 100W version is interesting with it possibility being stronger than GTX 1060; and maybe better battery life

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I read that the 100W intel+vega would be more like the 1060MQ.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Couldn’t be too sure. I remember reading Volta will gain as much as something like 127% gain over pascal. Going from maxwell 970m to pascal 1070 (gen tier to gen tier) is about 150% difference based on 3d marks graphics score. Your taking about an extra 10000 points more.
    I’d imagine 1060 upgrade would be around 70% more which actually ties it with a 1070.
    Be insane to think next of how ridiculous next gen 1080 is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  9. L Telfer

L Telfer Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if you can adjust the trackpad brightness, I find it way to bright but I still want to have a colour on it.

10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ??? I am not really sure what you are talking about here in context of my quote...

I mean, I was taking about the possibility of Intel G (Vega). Nothing to do with Volta

On that note, Volta will likely stay as workstation powerhouse; Nvida has no plans to bring Volta to consumer level gaming or laptops. Pascal has another go around still with a fresh rename and small ~15% power bump.

you are right it seems. I missed that it was Max-Q they were comparing to. However with more mature drivers and better use of HBM2 memory, it will likely fall within 10% of the GTX 1060, and outperform it on workstation tasks

[​IMG]

Vasudev, sisqo_uk and Vistar Shook like this.