*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hello L Telfer,

I suggest having a look at our knowledge base, where we have a comprehensive page on troubleshooting Bluetooth interference issues, which is likely what you are experiencing. Since Bluetooth is a self-adjusting 2.4 GHz radio technology, different devices will react to interference in different ways. If you are unable to find a way to get things working properly, feel free to reach out to us directly at killersupport@rivetnetworks.com!

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm having a few issues

1) according to core temperature, core temp averages around 40-50 degrees during normal to medium use, however, when gaming, temperates reaches 100 degrees in core #2. There is also an exclamation mark and exceeds 100 degrees a for a split second. GPU is gtx1060.
    Is this normal? The laptop never feels hot and has never crashed once.
    2) When watching youtube videos in chrome, every now and then the video will freeze a few sec but audio continues to play then catches up. Every other function is unresponsive. Only when I press control alt delete and exist can I got out of the freeze. Could this be a hardware or windows problem? Cpu is i7-7700hq
    3) Occiaillty my screen will flash for a millisecond. Not sure what'st causing this. I have the ips fhd panel.

Attached Files:

3. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like you have thermal throttling and an unbalanced heatsink needing a repaste. Once you've fixed this I'd check the other issues as its quite likely it's related so it's not worth the effort investigating those first

4. Fungus99

Reputations:
    Could there be another cause for the high temperature? I'd rather not have to take apart this computer.
    Is this an easy job.
    I still have 3 months warranty left so can call for a technician to come in.
    It still doesn't explain the low temperate outside of gaming.
    What temperatures should be considered normal when gaming?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 5:34 AM
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Call up Dell ASAP and let tech do the work. If the tech does anything bad you will get a new 13 r3 or 13 r4.

6. Fungus99

Reputations:
    haha, I don't think they will offer a new unit if they screw up.
    Does it involve taking apart the lid or just the removable of the base lid?
    Has the R4 been released already?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 6:25 AM
    Vasudev likes this.
  7. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry but no other cause for the high temperature from what you've described, the heatsink is definitely very unbalanced.

I'm not sure why you are asking why the temperatures are lower when you're not gaming, gaming is one of if not the most performance hungry things your laptop can do, it has to work much harder for this so more voltage is required which in turn generates more heat.

Temperatures you can expect with a proper repaste job with LM on your CPU and GPU were posted by @sadkodo here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/little-review-about-pete-light´s-repaste-job.812320/
    You'll never get that from a Dell tech though so maybe add 20C and a 10C differential above that and consider that a good job from them or straight out the box with standard paste

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Fungus99

Reputations:
    Just checked temperatures again after letting the game run for a few more minutes. Temperate now average around between 80-90 degrees but spikes to 100! every 30 secs then drop back down./
    Don't know what to make of this.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 6:53 AM
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There's a new lineup of AWs coming this Jan/Feb. Don't know how messy the things will be.
    Pete clearly knows in and outs of AWs so the repaste,repaste, SSD mod will be helpful.

Pete Light and Vistar Shook like this.
  10. tungd678

tungd678 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Where did you get this information?

Vasudev likes this.