*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Jinh0o

Jinh0o Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That makes sense since I'm using it with the lid closed. Sometimes I see a bright white led which I'm assuming is the work of this program. Disabled it through the tray for now.

2. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes that's correct, white = LED red = infrared; Just to be clear turning off the system tray icon wont do it you have to open tobii and go into the control panel and disable it's link to AW CM to control the lights.

3. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I'm trying to get HDR to work on the AW 13 R3 with the Kaby 7700 (w/1060). I've updated all drivers, including using the intel driver directly from intel, Windows creator update, and the newest bios. I still do not see the slider in Windows, nor any options changed in the bios. Does anyone actually have a screenshot/proof of it appearing in the settings? I've seen a whole bunch of communities discussing this and not one has been able to actually confirm proper HDR support. Thanks!

edit: Also, the OLED still appears as Generic, and will not accept the driver provided by Dell. This may be my issue, but I would like any help I can get!

4. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There's actually going to be a video coming out shortly about the EBR/HDR upgrade which will hopefully clarify some of the confusion. Currently the upgrade only applies to streamed content and that's why people haven't been able to implicate system-wide HDR.

IMG_0733.jpg

Also, it had been confirmed as a KabyLake exclusive feature:

IMG_0732.jpg

5. djcgeez2189

djcgeez2189 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    one thing bugging me is my system get so hot to the touch my temps are good sitting here on battery typing this post my system is burning my lap and palm rests are hot to the touch but my temps are in the 50s thats pretty high considering im not doing much... and the fans dont come on at all is there a way to get some air circulation in here because the fans dont work at all on battery

6. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So at present, there is no way to make it appear within Windows Color Management? It just happens with no notification in streaming content? And you can't adjust any settings for it... That is brutal. I'll run Netflix on the Skylake R3 and Kabylake r3 right next to each other and see if there is a difference at all.

7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    This is so annoying, everything working perfectly fine then BSOD after exiting Overwatch and
    now GPU isn't installing again

[​IMG]

EDIT: Don't know if this will fix it everytime, but I just plugged in my amp and the 1060 is working again.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  8. brunks

brunks Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I am a long time lurker on this thread. I have been going through it since like it was a 100~ish pages. I've bought two of these puppies, one IPS Skylake on release date that I sold to a friend and an OLED Kabylake. I have to say apart from the *purple/reddish* ghosting on moving darker grays the OLED display is incredible. This is not a problem with just my sample - all OLEDs have it in some way, it is just the nature of how the pixels turn on and off, sadly. I've had to manually calibrate mine through the Intel Control Panel by eye, I have to say I am really satisfied with the result, the colors really look a-m-a-z-i-n-g - people just wow at it... they also manage to drool from time to time ;s .

I obviously have one(two) of the defective... well... not properly calibrating batteries. It does affect battery life... but I have been able to stretch 5-6 hours of videos from this thing regularly, so I will wait to get a new one, is it possible to get dell to just ship me one instead of them even considering sending a "tech"? (sort of important for me)

The Skylake is still running happily on Conductonaut with -0.185mv, didn't break 70 - so it was pretty much fanless. The fans usually only kick in when the GPU reaches 60ish.

The Kaby, with -0.135mv - well because it was running so well with BIOS 1.0.2 I am still on Kryonaut and have not had the time to re-paste it to LM yet. Well... since I changed my BIOS because of the HT bug anyway. It used to throttle my GPU to 1400+ once it reached 84 which would make it go down to 70 degrees, on the 180W power supply. 1400~ was enough for BF1 1080p ULTRA 60+ FPS. Now with the newer BIOS I prefer to manually set my boost to 1506 which keeps it nice, quiet and cool. I need to do more testing, since we cannot undervolt pascal - if I can run it at a higher clock with the minimum voltage for boost, will get back to you later on this. The voltage on this chip is way too high for the boost it gives, this is why we can give it an extra 120-140Mhz through OC.
    My GPUs on both machines have always been a lot hotter than anything else, on synthetics, obviously real world apart from BF1 is a lot better. The 1060 with full tilt Kryonaut machine always seems to like settling at about 86-87C(1 hour or more of abuse), but otherwise if running something like The Witcher 3 would give me around 76-78 tops, with the back lifted (FYI this is the only cooling pad you need for a 13r3 http://www.deepcool.com/product/nbcooler/upto17/2014-01/27_753.shtml ).

Now for the 90W PSU - it really keeps the machine in check, even though in full tilt it does consume battery, but I am mostly afraid that I am killing the adapter, slowly, but surely. Using it is necessary for the machine to be portable though and also for it to not be annoying for co-workers under any sort of load on any(even bad) surfaces. GPU clock is 1400~ with 1900 on memory.

Anyway, that is enough offtopic, I mostly just wanted to share some of my findings with you regarding HDR and GPU not being recognized.

First for the GPU (to @ssj92), just uninstall the driver by right click uninstall in device manager and reboot, then reinstall. It should now work. Worst case also delete the 630 driver. This mainly occurs when you are monitoring temps for the GPU and then the 3D applications dies... or is closed. This can lead to a crash that destroys not only the current session, but also the driver within Windows for some reason. Let me know if it works out for you, I had it occur a couple of times and I don't a 100% remember how I used to fix it :D . A Windows reinstall is not necessary!

For the HDR. This one took me a lot of time to narrow down. You need to have a 4k account in Netflix first, otherwise you will not get hevc and HDR. This is a known limitation of Netflix. Then I advise you use the driver from Dell's website and the EDR BIOS. I am talking about version 4708, it works best. (version 4771 from Intel wants an option enabled in the control panel to work properly, and that option destroys the blacks on our display for some reason - I do not advise using it!)
    Once you have all of the above, just open up the Netflix Windows app(it is the only one that supports HDR for us) and open something like Marco Polo, Daredevil(all Marvels have it I think), then use the keyboard combination Alt+Ctrl+Shift+D , this will give you information about playback. On Video Track you should have hevc and HDR, this means it is working.
    (There is also another way to find out that HDR is working, but I am using a different example for it)
    You can also play local HDR video, but it is only supported for the native Windows 10 Video Player (a.k.a. "Movies & TV"). Once you play a HDR video with it in fullscreen, open up the action center (while still being in fullscreen) and you will notice that your brightness has changed from 75% (in my case) to a 100% . This means HDR is now working. To confirm it, playback that HDR video with a different player, like Windows Media Player or even MPC Home Cinema. The video should look really washed out, sort of like a CAM movie release. On "Movies & TV" the video should look, once again, A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Netflix with HDR also pushes the OLED to 100% brightness in Windows but I believe it does not need to be in fullscreen.
    Currently I do not see anything else running in HDR(EDR) on our machines. I hope this changes as it does look stunning.

Let me know if I can give you more information on this machine or if you guys have any questions. I actually have learned a lot about it in detail and will try and assist as best I can.

TLDR: complaints, findings and useful information regarding the machine.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Djangi and Wormwood like this.
  9. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They're normally loathe to send parts, although some people have gotten them to, but if they insist on sending a technician you can always have your laptop opened up beforehand so all they need to do is watch you drop in the new battery and have you close-up and boot the computer to make sure everything is working.

brunks likes this.
  10. brunks

brunks Newbie

Reputations:
    I so wish that was a viable solution for me :( .