*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. OCDTinker

OCDTinker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Try forcing vsync with triple buffering in the driver general settings rather on app specific method.

djcgeez2189 likes this.
  2. draxen

draxen Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was the original author of the thread :)

I did extensive testing and found that the power drain only seemed to occur under certain load conditions. Typically when the GPU was pushed really hard. The only game where I could recreate the problem consistently every time was Elite Dangerous running at 120hz in an asteroid field. This seemed to cause the GPU to draw more power than usual (as seen in HWInfo).

As a guess I believe this is an intended "feature" by Dell/Alienware called Hybrid Power. I think it's designed to provide "extra power" under certain conditions to prevent throttling. A couple of games seem to trigger it more than others, perhaps the criteria under which it's set to trigger isn't perfect. I tried everything I could to prevent it including under volting. The only thing that "fixed" it was to reduce the load on the GPU either by limiting the framerate or lowering the graphics settings.

Out of curiosity can you list your system specs and describe the conditions under which you've experienced the power drain? - which game, which settings etc.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Lawrenzza

Lawrenzza Newbie

Reputations:
    i'm having terrible experience on my alienware 13 r3 oled with fifa 17
    settings on 1080p, i tried playing via razer cortex and geforce experience settings.
    initial game play the fps is 30fps it's ok.... once the game goes on it goes as high as 130fps or more and the screen starts lagging badly.

is this hardware problem or software settings problem?

4. Freitz

Freitz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am a 17r4 owner. I can't seem to get a system that runs cooler then the temps of the sun. Thinking of switching.

Any 7820hk 1070 with new OC vbios having heat issues?

5. djcgeez2189

djcgeez2189 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hell yeah first thing I did when I bought mine was repasted it because I was getting 90c in overwatch...... When I opened her up she was practically swimming in thermal paste.. like I couldn't believe who ever did this thought it was okay.. now I'm sitting around 7o-75c in overwatch

6. djcgeez2189

Reputations:
    No you're not having heat issues kabby lake is a hot CPU especially since it's unlocked you are going to need a cooking pad or lower the voltage or you are going to get high average temps under load. Especially since the new alienwares don't have proprietary cooking it shares the same heatsink as the gpu

7. djcgeez2189

Reputations:
    Yes that's what I tried but it doesn't work. I've tried the last 3 Nvidia drivers and nothing I select in the control panel works .

8. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wrong thread

here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-alienware-17-r4-owners-lounge.797457/

Most likely software. background tasks are probably slowing you down.

Get rid of Nvidia G-force excrement asap. It is a cancer to the PC and will slow things down. (its sole purpose s to sell you adds and crap)

Razer cortex is similar. Snake oli to cure your PC problems.

If you haven't already, disable "Windows Search" and "Superfetch" in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Services

Digital1337 likes this.
  9. Buxty

Buxty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm struggling to get a swap organised by the Dell agent i've been speaking to. Apparently he's sent off a swap request to the factory which was accepted but no order confirmation or anything has come out of Dell since.

Its frustrating as they did offer a refund as an option, maybe I should have taken it.

10. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just repasted my Kaby Lake 13 with GTX1060. Compared to my old Skylake I'm not getting nearly as good of thermals though. First off, they're still using the damn stamps which barely does anything. Now, my CPU temps have dropped significantly (10~15C under full load) but my GPU temps seem nearly identical. I can't remember how much I was getting with my skylake system in GTA:V, but I think it was around 76~79C load wereas now I'm getting 80~85C load.

Re-pasted with Gelid GC-Extreme and tightened using the correct 1-7 order (and going back for re-tightening). I'll have to do a bit more testing, could also be because of slightly higher temps and the fact that my Skylake system was an undervolt beast (-0.185V undervolt) compared to the -0.140V undervolt on the Kaby Lake.

One thing I noticed though is that my fans don't ramp up as hard as they used to before, so maybe it has something to do with the BIOS. I might flash the old BIOS and see how that affects temps.

Vasudev likes this.