*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. BigInJapanDan

BigInJapanDan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And again, wow! Thank you so much for this, very informative, and funny! :D
    I'm from europe, so don't think I will find a reseller here. I think I will manage to do it myself, have done it with my current laptop. Just don't see why they can't get it right out of the factory...
    Now to save up that cash!

2. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you get a 13 do yourself a favor and buy the OLED. Don't care what people say about how nice the 1080P is, BS. I've used Apple devices long enough to know the only one that is "good" is the OLED.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. ABC4112

ABC4112 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just to let you know, though the oled panels are getting great praises here... the panels used for the 13 r3 have vignetting issues (some more pronounced than others). The panels are not being produced actively, and all the stock are mainly from 2015/2016 with the issue present. I've tested a lot of these panels, and they all suffer from it... I just assume either 1. people don't notice it, or 2. no one gives a **** about it here.

The 1080p display that comes with the r3 is great for the price and quality. The oled has more contrast and is more saturated color wise, but theres not a huge difference when compared side by side.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  4. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, even the embedded version of W 10 still robs you of privacy. It's less bloated for sure, and more stable. But everything you do on your machine is still being logged. Not saying W 7 is free from it, but at least you have some control over these processes. If you value your privacy and need full software compatibility (and games) - W7 is your only choice. If you can survive without the adobe/microsoft stuff - go linux. Even there, you have to be careful. If you really want security and personal privacy - there's only one decent option right now - Qubes OS with custom BIOS. It won't protect you from some of the vendor backdoors, but it's as close as you get to full privacy protection, as long as you don't put all your life out there as most people still do (google, social networks, etc). Good news is, most linux distros run on AW 13R3 out of the box with very little tweaking.

biffbunk likes this.
  5. Digital1337

Digital1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good morning Ladies and Gents
    the "Dbrand" skin is in ... and it looks like $#it ... ((

Attached Files:

6. Digital1337

Digital1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ABC, we must be smoking different pipes ...
    On my end OLED vs IPS differences are just as drastic as day and night. Could be my eyes though ;)

That being said - agree on manufacturing timestamp ... it irks me to death to have a two-year old component in my "brand new system"

7. ABC4112

Reputations:
    Did you compare an 13 r3 ips and a 13 r3 oled side by side? Overall, there isn't much of a difference for day to day use. It might indeed be just your eyes. The oled as stated before is more saturated and has more contrast (granted you have it over 50% brightness, around 75% or higher... its dim otherwise). Moreover, the panels themselves have defects... it doesn't justify the cost premium at all.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  8. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the heads up I honestly can't say that I've seen what you're describing at least on mine, not saying it isn't there but I haven't noticed it yet. Perhaps it's because I keep my brightness at 50% and under (it's at 25% right now). I know what you're talking about I think, you're referring to a yellowing halo effect around the screen edges? Seen that before with Apple stuff and normally that's glue outgassing that goes away with time.

9. ABC4112

Reputations:
    No, I meant what I typed/described. It's oled vignetting, theres no glue involved. It's pretty common for low quality oled panels to have these defects. http://imgur.com/a/KSOXX

10. OCDTinker

OCDTinker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You are not factoring in image retention and burn in. It's just the nature of the technology of OLED. The IPS panel on the 13 R3 I have might not be the perfect screen but it looks good and I know it will never have issues in the future. It's also fairly bright.