*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. shadowyani

shadowyani Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With $3000 tied up with Dell ($800 warranty because I couldn't trust the 13 R3 to last, ouch!) it certainly is looking like a way out huh? My rationale is the larger machine is harder to make mistakes on if it does have to be serviced by them (please no, please).

I don't think these machines are ready for prime-time. While its awesome that people are becoming celebrities here on the boards and even being paid for repaste and PCH mod services I'm just thinking I'm too old for this @!#$ now.

Seriously...you guys on this board here are doing so much free tech support and beta testing for Dell.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Papusan and Eria Tarka like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Even I'm sick of constant care, I feel as if its my child maybe from alien wife who gave me a souvenir before leaving the planet.

Eria Tarka likes this.
  3. shadowyani

Reputations:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah I think I might be chasing a dragon with the threadripper desktop too. I just want my money back and I'm gonna spoil the **** out of my cats.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. shutterbc

shutterbc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm still chasing down memory corruption BSODs. Having a hard time believing there isn't some weird CPU / chipset damage, or just horrible drivers no matter what I update or reinstall. I'm now overvolting the CPU core to maintain stability, at the expense of more heat...

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Checked RAM modules if there's any fault? Put only stick at a time and check using MemTest software.

6. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Speaking of weird issues. Ever since I updated the BIOS to 1.1.8, my machine is overheating at max load. All temps go into 90s, the fans seem way more quiet than they used to be. Flashing back to any older version doesn't change anything. Seems like I can't revert it. Idle and average load temps are same as before. Wish I could just remove the OLED screen and stick it into my 5 year old elitebook at this point... Now have to deal with hellienware support and get the mobo replaced possibly *Sigh*.

shadowyani likes this.
  7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not to go off topic, but the Area 51 threadripper has a halfassed cooling solution

The current asetek CLC cannot cover the whole threadripper IHS due to it's size, their solution is just to use a redesigned bracket and ignore the contact problem.

Threadripper is made out of 4 separate die in 1 PCB, so you might have some weird temperature differential with a cooler that doesn't have proper contact.

Papusan, Vasudev and shadowyani like this.
  8. shadowyani

Reputations:

Shall I start an Alienware support group? In my time in Dell Hell I've definitely developed the patience to head one. I'm a great listener.

:)

+1 to installing that OLED into something else. The rest of the machine has me hurting. Lol. I'll find a way to mount it to my cats, for uh, improvements.

Aikimox and Vasudev like this.
  9. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Area 51R2 I bought when they first came out like 4 years ago? The system has been amazing, I repasted once and have upgraded video cards several times and ssd. Only issue I had was almost at 2years the PSU died and Dell had a Tech at my home the next day with a new one.

I agree with Mobius on the threadripper cooling and would go another route other than AW if AMD is what you want?

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Should definitely build yourself.

The motherboard also seems to be only 1x 8 pin, which is not enough as pointed out by der8auer.

The only way you can get proper contact with the threadripper chip is with an entirely new cooler base.
    https://www.overclock3d.net/news/ca...r4_mounting_kits_for_their_existing_coolers/1

Vasudev likes this.