*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. hallon

hallon Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, same here. Not vertical, but there's an area in the top/middle which has a different white balance and is lighter. The left half of the screen has lower luminance in darker shades. It's to the point where details in a dark image are disappearing into black, then suddenly they become visible as they move across to the right side. Had the same problem with two galaxy note 4's previously. Had them replaced and the third had a perfect OLED. I'm hoping one replacement for my Alienware 13 screen will be enough.

2. maxdd04

maxdd04 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. Is the CPU usage and CPU temps normal?

3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Use HWinfo. Something wrong with the overlay. Nothing would make CPU temp fluctuate so wildly by 2-4C within 1 second.

But yes all those temps are too high

4. shadowyani

shadowyani Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone getting speaker crackling like blown out speakers with the latest realtek drivers from Dell?

5. Buxty

Buxty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Spoke to Dell about my 25% wear on my battery since Feb and apparently they only replace after 65% wear which sounds ridiculous. Anyway they didn't put up any resistance about replacing my peeling palmrest and i'm trying to get the coil whine addressed as its gotten worse then the adaptors in and its idling.

Good lappy, heavy but would you rather £500 more for a Razer? Nah.

Vasudev and Eria Tarka like this.
  6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not true at all for battery wear. They have replaced people's on this forum with % wear in the teens. Try to talk to another rep or something. Amazing the lies these guys will tell

Vasudev and Eria Tarka like this.
  7. Buxty

Buxty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's what my mate Tibor at Dell Support said, i'm going for a replacement with this one to be honest, since it came the day with a faulty motherboard/GPU I think I should have hassled for a replace rather than a repair.

8. maxdd04

maxdd04 Newbie

Reputations:
    thank you. i will try to do another video with a higher bitrate and with hwinfo. but, i got one question. in the video there are parts where the cpu gets to 90 celsius while it has 50% usage or less. how do i solve this? am i suffering thermal throttle?

9. Eria Tarka

Eria Tarka Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I guess you gotta keep insisting.
    I just got notified that they are going to replace mine next week, though my case is a bit extreme; about 15% wear in less than a month of usage.
    Also they are going to replace my M.2, again.
    Weird and dumb thing; They had no idea they have given me a Toshiba 256g drive as replacement last time (the old one was an Intel 180gb) they had in their data base that I got a brand new Intel 180gb, I had to send them pictures to show them that thats not what the onsite brought.
    They've agreed to keep the "upgrade by mistake" through and give me a new 256 ssd.

After some exchanges through email, I can safely assume that apparently the onsite technicians have nothing to do with dell and most of the time have no idea what exactly is going on.

I told them right away that I am not going to let the onsite change anything (unless he had to change the M.B or something crazy) and he can be there and watch me do it, but that I feel safer if I do it myself.

I'm still a week away from the 30 days return period, I'm cosidering returning it if temps dont improve with Grizzly Kryonaut and if they send me, again, a faulty M.2 and battery.

I love this small beast, and technical support have been very attentive to resolve all my troubles, but all this crap is too much.

:p

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Is anyone running the latest BIOS 1.1.8? Any feedback on temps?

Edit: I think it changes the fan thresholds. Need to do more testing.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017