*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    When buying a Macbook Pro, you are buying the ecosystem/software environment. Generally for music, video, and or Photo editing. Hackintosh doesn't cut it here, and the specs they have are good enough for those purposes and are priced competitively with comparable premium flagship windows business hardware (i.e Surface, EliteBook, DellPrecision). Mac is in no way comparable to Gaming hardware.

I do not care for the software ecosystem of Mac so i do not buy them.

shadowyani and Rairch like this.
  2. shadowyani

shadowyani Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Among the other things others have pointed out to you already that don't just relate to specs my 2012 super outdated Mac has a 99%++ success rate of resuming from sleep so I can jump back into a busy session, even if it was used for multiple users. I share my Mac with my family so this is even more impressive so this is a total of 5 users that can have open sessions survive sleep mode on only 8 GB of RAM. I value this ability greatly even on Windows but I'm not blind because when it crashes its, uh, obvious?

Now you browse the threads here and you'll find people swearing off sleep and hibernate modes not just on the 13 R3 but on any Windows machine altogether.

2012 retina MacBook pro base model, 15 inch. Tell me where is this one 3x the price of it's similar contemporaries? Don't make stuff up just to support your emotions. There wasn't a full metal machine with these specs at that price point with a quad core back then and then none of them ran OSX. At the time there were no NVME SSDs so there were no machines this thin without custom form factor SATA SSDs which Apple chose to use. And yes, there is a point where chasing thinness stops to make sense such as in the new 2016 and 2017 MacBooks that have lost battery life because of this pursuit. Pros and Cons. I don't get why this is so hard to see or why it's even personally offensive.

Specifications do not make a computer. Benefits do. The benefit of my Alienware is apparent, and I've written threads on here to help others maximize that benefit. I can play games anywhere. There are many quad core GTX 1060 machines that can't play games anywhere because they suck, despite specs being equal. But hey, if you find me in real life I'll be happy to sell you a Max-Q machine.

The benefit of my Mac has been apparent for over 5 years now. It's a machine, that isn't an always on server, that I reboot less than once a month. There are ACTUALLY Windows machines that cost 3x the price that have trouble doing this but that's because some dipass thinks they can go to Fry's (sorry I said the F-word) and they can build the most reliable computer ever without having a lick of engineering credentials by simply slapping the most expensive off-the-shelf components they can find.

The Mac isn't better, its different. I get that this offends you when people point out that different != better. That's ok. Fact of the matter is that I own my Alienware because my Mac helped me pay for it. That's not a matter of emotion or opinion.

You can say what you will but my Mac is happily helping me make money, pay the bills, doing the things, scoring the points, and winning the stuff. When I look at it's scuffed chassis and all the hits it's taken for me in the name of computing I think, "Man, this thing has truly paid for itself for not just myself but 4 other people in my house."

Then my Mac looks at me and thinks, "Man, I'm a machine. I'm physically not even remotely actually close to being capable at all of giving 2 ****s about what biffbunk is yapping about. ShadowYANi, give yourself some you time and enjoy this coffee."

*Mic drop*

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Vasudev and John Rosenthal like this.
  3. endymion12

endymion12 Newbie

Reputations:
    just realized that you can uncheck BD PROCHOT in TS to disable power adapter throttle and my laptop is running fine on 65W adapter now. Note that I intend to use the workaround for work only so the nvidia card will not be used. Pretty sure 65W is sufficient for this scenario and won't discharge the battery. I benched the cpu a bit under TS and all cores turbos to x34 normally, so I'd call this a success. No need to carry my adapter to work anymore.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. John Rosenthal

John Rosenthal Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    *pick up mic*

It's impressive explanation!
    Fight again?

*throwed mic far away*

shadowyani likes this.
  5. shadowyani

Reputations:
    Lol I am in fact done hahaha. I can continue to provide and receive value from this community without continuing that particular interaction. People here help me and that's why I will help them.

John Rosenthal likes this.
  6. John Rosenthal

John Rosenthal Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Actually it's very good when a person can detailed explain what differents he sees between some stuff

Vasudev and shadowyani like this.
  7. shadowyani

Reputations:
    Yes I agree I think being an avid user of both Windows and OSX, enjoying both immensely, makes my take on the matter qualified than usual. This is in fact much easier than trying to be both a Democrat and a Republican lol :)

I believe I have offered more than the knee-jerk "I can get more specs for less price" opinion that usually comes with the Mac VS PC exchange. I've already conceded that today you can get more specs for less price so when the debate continues it is no longer wise to continue making specs-based arguments when the matter has moved onto user experience, use cases, and design.

Neither machine fits all my needs, thus I am justified in owning both. They are sitting on the same table right now, and thus far, against all expectations, neither one has set fire to the other.

Warring nations time and time again have found peace. I'm deeply disappointed that Mac and PC cultists haven't yet.

That being said, Mac owners, PLEASE use antivirus; it is impolite to infect Windows friends with viruses you're harboring even if they can't affect OSX. Of course there's also the rare OSX virus too.

John Rosenthal likes this.
  8. silverghost123

silverghost123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi All,

I bought the Alienware 13 R3 and put in a 1TB 850 Evo M.2 SSD as a secondary drive, when I download a game from steam onto the secondary drive (D), Steam is showing approximately 23MB's download speed, the laptop goes really slow, for example moving the mouse is really jerky. I am in the process of downloading a game as I am writing this and even typing letters is much slower than normal. When i look in task manager is shows:
    CPU 47%
    Memory 28%
    Disk 52%
    Network 0% (Presumably wifi isn't classed as network)

Any ideas please, I am wondering if this is normal or I have a problem with the secondary hard drive. I had a 15 R3 before which I returned and bought this laptop and had the same problem with that one.

Thanks

9. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Disable both "Windows Search" and "Superfetch" (control panel>AdminTools>Services). Disable Killer Network software and Dell's auto-update junk. Restart PC and see if it is smooth and report back here :)

10. OCDTinker

OCDTinker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you any of you guys use thermal pads for the SSDs? When I opened up mine I was surprised to see that Dell didn't install a thermal pad under the NVMe SSD that came with my laptop. There is a fancy copper heatsink under the SSD but the SSD has no contact with it. Did you guys try install one? And if yes what brand and thickness?