*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thats far too high. Six hours of Dishonoured 2, with a -.100v and on a cooling pad my PCH gets to 66C. Without the cooling pad its like 68ish. I would say theres something up there.

EDIT: No re-paste, they seemed to have done a pretty good job with mine as on stock my max GFX temp is like 85C and CPU 80-ishC with no undervolt and on the cooling pad with fans off (which does actually make a difference of a few degrees)

2. endymion12

endymion12 Newbie

Reputations:
    got a quick question for you guys. How bright is the oled's minimal brightness for you guys? Mine seems really bright, i'd say prolly 50 cd/m2 at 0%

3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Get the OLED with 1060 GPU or 1050ti. I would have regretted getting anything without the OLED screen

Absolutely no reason to buy this with a 1050 (25% slower than the 1050ti and about 55% slower than the 1060). There are better thin and light gaming/multimedia laptops out there with the 1050.

4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hard to say. Comparing it to my Dell Ultrasharp curved monitor, I'd say it is about 50% brighter at minimum settings. Its seems 2x as bright as my Samsung Note Edge (OLED). Both those are not laptops though. Don't have a current IPS screen laptop to compare it to.

I will say the it is the first Laptop that I noticed is comfortable to use at miniumum brightness. Even in the dark, most of my past laptops (that I remember using in the dark) needed at least 25% brightness to be usable.

5. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Best screen on the market period. I have many 4K tvs with PS4 and Xbox1. My kids are migrating to my pc to play games because it so damn clear and crisp the graphics

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  6. LM64792

LM64792 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've got no need for internet fame or a second job, but I'll share enough information for whoever is interested to try something similar. Hopefully this helps somebody else out.

Objective
    Enable PCH to be actively cooled to the external atmosphere without any permanent modification of the laptop.

Solution
    Create and attach an ultrathin heatpipe that can leverage the onboard cooling solution. The only material capable of fitting under the stock lower chassis is something like PGS. Work around PGS weakness of somewhat low capacity (yet high horizontal thermal conductivity) by double/triple stacking the sheets where possible.

Additional Parts Required
    1 x PGS @ $11: https://www.digikey.com/product-det...ic-components/EYG-A121802DM/P14965-ND/2781074
    1 x Fiskar Paper Trimmer @ $14: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SLC3IU?ref=emc_b_5_t

If you have something like a metal ruler with an Xacto hobby knife, that should work too, but the Fiskar trimmer is really easy to use and very accurate, perfect for making strips of precisely a certain width.

Steps
    1 - Disassemble laptop and remove stock heatsink/fan assembly.
    2 - Using 99% alcohol (or equivalent cleaner you have), wipe down the heat pipes between the CPU and GPU area. This is where the PGS strip will stick to.
    3 - Re-apply thermal paste to GPU and CPU.
    4 - Measure out and cut 2 strips of 11mm width PGS from the shorter side (115mm side).
    5 - Take 1 of the 115mm x 11mm strips you just cut, and cut to 55mm long. Save the remaining 60mm strip.
    6 - Take the 55mm x 11mm strip, and remove the semi-hard clear-plastic backing from the PGS strip. This is the most difficult part as PGS is ultra-thin and you will have a hard time peeling it off the clear-plastic backing. Also try not to wrinkle the PGS, that happens really easily and it will lower the performance.
    7 - Once it starts peeling off about 10mm, stop, as you will need to now do the same thing to the strip that is 115mm x 11mm.
    8 - You should now have 2 strips that have slightly been freed from the clear plastic backing: 115mm x 11mm and 55mm x 11mm.
    9 - Take the strip that is 55mm x 11mm long, and start to attach it to the PCH (chip only!) with the long side heading towards the CPU/GPU heatsink/fan area. Don't completely unpeel from backing yet as you need the backing to help position the strip.
    10 - Take the strip that is 115mm x 11mm long, and place it UNDER the strip you just began to stick to the PCH, so that the adhesive side of each strips faces each other in a stacked manner to eliminate any unnecessary sticky areas, unpeeling the plastic backing from the shorter 55mm x 11mm strip as you go. In other words, you want the 55mm x 11mm long strip to ONLY stick to the PCH where the actual chip is, because the rest is covered by the second PGS strip.
    11 - Take your new double stacked PGS strip, and lay it across where the CPU/GPU heatpipes will go, but again do not completely peel off the plastic backing from the 115mm x 11mm long strip just yet.
    12 - Reposition the CPU/GPU heatsink/fan assembly, but before tightening any of the screws, unpeel the rest of the plastic backing from the PGS strip, and as taughtly as possible, stick it to the exposed underside of your heat pipes between the CPU and GPU, on the underside where it's exposed copper, then let the CPU/GPU heatsink/fan assembly rest in the correct installed position.
    13 - Making sure the PGS is without crinkling (as much as possible), adhere the remaining length all the way around the heat pipes over the top (black) area back towards the PCH direction, but before going all the way, read the next step.
    14 - If you have any slack in the PGS strip on the PCH side that was coming towards the heat pipes and has the exposed sticky layer, wrap that around the heat pipes as much as possible as well, then finish off by attaching the far end to it. This will completely encircle the heat pipes from both sides now.
    15 - Taking the final 60mm x 11mm strip (if you still have this and haven't used it as a replacement 55mm x 11mm strip), layer it on top of the PCH area and again make it go towards the heat pipes. This will make the PGS triple stacked here.
    16 - Reassemble remainder of the laptop as per normal instructions.

I just ran a test for my laptop with no undervolt (but still GPU overclock). Also, I don't use the BIOS Performance Mode, it is way too loud. See here for results of 15 min of OCCT followed by 15 min of Unigine Heaven:
    http://imgur.com/a/AoC06

The solution should look something like this (this was an earlier attempt actually, it looks better now):
    http://imgur.com/a/KfZHn

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Digital1337, xxpmrong and shadowyani like this.
  7. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Alienware just confirmed yet again that, yes, re-pasting with Liquid Metal does *not* void your warranty unless you accidentally damage something while you've got the unit opened up (and that should still be covered if you have the additional accidental coverage):

LiquidMetal.jpg

8. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wonder if there are different makes of PCH and some run cooler and others hotter since mine usually maxes out at around 67c or less, and is cooler than that on average, and I've even seen people reporting temperatures in the mid to high 50c range.

9. shadowyani

shadowyani Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pretty much. Any chip that has that much power going through it is subject to the silicon lottery. It's conceivable that I simply just got a sample that is at the upper limit of what Dell thinks is acceptable (and totally not cool for real-world usage).

10. shadowyani

shadowyani Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for this information and the link to the materials. Alienware support is still looking into my case but I think I will attempt your fix to see how effective it is in a worst-case scenario, eg. the PCH that I ended up with that easily hits over 90c. This is much more elegant than the micro-fan idea I was pondering and its great to see that its working for you even at stock voltages.