*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Phobio80

Phobio80 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I personally would opt for less RAM and instead see if you can get the i7. RAM can be upgraded for less than what Dell charges down the road quite easily. In the US there is an i7/1060/8GB/256GB option. All you'd need to add to that would be the OLED and upgrade RAM later.

The i7 would also help if you wanted to run a faster GPU in the graphics amplifier down the road.

2. mrmylanman

mrmylanman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To back this suggestion up, I specified my notebook at 8GB (the lowest amount) because at the time I bought 32GB for about 40% less than Dell's price. Not sure if this is true in Spain as well, but I'm sure it would be cheaper at least.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

3. z0mgn0es

z0mgn0es Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Any FHD owners of the AW13 R3? How do you find the panels in general? I know OLED is the absolute highlight of this unit, but I'm curious to know how the FHD panels are.

4. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You mean the IPS screen? It's grand. It's pretty good and I haven't found myself thinking "gah I wish I had a better screen" yet. I've had many screens I absolutely hated (both laptop and monitors). It's a really good screen.

5. Xtreemcore

Xtreemcore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I couldn't get my hands on Fujipoly thermal pads. Will Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 (8.0 W/mK) do better than the stock thermal pads(thinking to replace the stock ones)??

Also, do you guys play game/other intensive task with the laptop back lifted or with a laptop cooler at the bottom?

FYI, there is a new BIOS version available.

I would say it's pretty good. Mine has some light bleeds in the corners which is common with IPS display. I notice it only when turning on the laptop before windows started, So I'm happy with it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Xtreemcore

Xtreemcore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oopss double post.

7. nemt

nemt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did any of you guys consider the Gigabyte Aero 14 against the Alienware 13 when making your choice? Those are the two I've narrowed my list down to, despite issues I've had with the durability of my current Gigabyte machine.

8. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm on the same boat. They sell the last year's Aero 14 nearby for around 1300 Euros, and that include a 1080p screen and a GTX 965M. While the Aero 14 is built well enough to sustain years of usage, the AW13 is superior at everything except weight and battery. The main reasons I'm considering the AW13 are the OLED screen and the supreme build quality. I still don't know what I'll be choosing, but I'm strongly leaning over the AW.

9. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Considering another gigabyte despite durability issues?

10. nemt

nemt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only major thing holding me back from the Alienware 13 is how wacky it looks relative to other computers I use.

It's not as bad as many gaming laptops, but it's still pretty bad.

Smaller concerns are battery life and fan noise.

That said, I'm still leaning that way over the Aero.
    Looks like Dell still has a 10% promo for it. Any tips on finding Dell gift cards/codes at a discount?