*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. shutterbc

shutterbc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm having issues with tobii being inconsistent as well. Haven't yet nailed down the problem. Does it act differently for you when on battery vs. plugged in? I know it doesn't work properly in multi monitor configuration.

Due to other issues (micro-stutter / app hang / BSOD) I'm diving back into an area I took a few years break from: Windows performance analysis and crash dump analysis. Let the time consuming fun begin.

I haven't done the Tobii one yet, but here are my findings so far on the stutter: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-13-r3-case-of-the-stuttering-video.803947/

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  2. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I might be planning on getting the AW13 R3 by next September from France.
    While checking their available configs, I can order the OLED screen (+250€) in pretty much most of them.
    Since I'm more interested in a portable, durable, do it all laptop rather than a pure gamer-ish machine, I decided I'm going for one of the following specs:

i5-7300HQ, GTX 1050 2G, 8GB, 180GB SATA3, 1440p OLED - 1850Eur

or

i5-7300HQ, GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, 8GB, 180GB SATA3, 1440p OLED - 2000Eur

Is it worth it to pay 150Eur more for a better GPU and more Vram? Ram (extra 8G) and SSD (512 Sata3 for bulk) will be added later for sure, so those are not an issue.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @SkidrowSKT: Yes you can but you can invest in 1060 which is a step above 1050 in terms of performance.

4. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    I agree, the GTX 1060 is the perfect pick for the long run, but that variant costs 2250Euros, it might be way beyond my max budget. :/

5. shutterbc

shutterbc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For those of you shopping for one of these systems, do keep in mind there are frequently coupons that bring the price down significantly. When I purchased I ended up with around a net 30% off list price through a variety of codes and other techniques (including purchasing Dell gift cards at a discount). There's frequently the 10% off coupon, at the very least.

In terms of your question about GPU, I feel like that's a pretty large price difference for a relatively small difference in performance. However, if you really care about having enough memory for high texture detail, then you'll want the Ti anyway. It is clearly the better card, but it's a matter of how much you value GPU performance.

JaiCho, Vasudev and SkidrowSKT like this.
  6. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    This is what I've immediately thought about when checking all the GPU options. The 150€ leap for double the VRAM and around 25% more performance looks to be more justified than a 250€ leap for a GPU that is more suitable for long gaming sessions. I might just shoot for the 1050Ti. It will be more expensive, I know, but that OLED screen is well worth the 250Eur increase!
    Thanks for the input. :)

Vasudev likes this.
  7. shutterbc

shutterbc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oh -- also, I have the 1060. I did it because I'm too lazy to spring for a graphics amplifier in the short term (and those things should get cheaper over time as new cards also get cheaper). I'm not a huge gamer but my sibling is, and with the discounts I found, it was a reasonable choice to handle whichever games I may be invited to play. I also am very aware of the advantage of buying in the US, which my international friends remind me of every time they visit and go on insane shopping sprees. :)

SkidrowSKT and Vasudev like this.
  8. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    You are lucky - I just can't go to the US, and purchasing anything from outside will hit me hard with the import and shipping taxes. :(

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

9. nemt

nemt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm giving serious thought to replacing my aging Gigabyte P34 with an Alienware 13; it looks like an amazing little machine.

One of the things I'm mulling over is sticking with the smallest drive offered, the 180GB one, and just throwing in a second m.2 drive in the empty slot. Does anyone have experience with BitLocker on this machine? Will Dell ship it with BitLocker already enabled on the drive if Windows 10 Pro is selected? If so, does this necessitate any extra BitLocker related steps when added a new drive?

Also is there a de-bloating guide somewhere, in lieu of doing a clean Windows install?

10. shutterbc

shutterbc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Bitlocker was not enabled on mine. No issues adding a drive.