*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Phobio80

Phobio80 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine isn't here yet, it's out for delivery right now, but what I've read and seen all suggests that the 1ms response time on the OLED is fantastic. Optimus can cause some inconsistencies within windows when the GPU isn't being utilized, but hopefully that will be ironed out soon and it's a software issues, not hardware.

2. iaTa

iaTa Do Not Feed

Reputations:
    Yeah the creators update helped a great deal with the Optimus lags. I only see them briefly when I exit a game now rather than all the time within Windows.

I assume that's due to the Intel drivers included with the creators update.

3. Fizaddou

Fizaddou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think maybe its the response time i'm not used to--I wasn't referring to optimus lag.

4. iaTa

iaTa Do Not Feed

Reputations:
    The response time of the OLED panel is superb so you shouldn't see any lag or stutter in vsynced animations.

Maybe try removing your Intel and Nvidia drivers using DDU and re-install the latest, and/or install the Windows creators update.

Input lag is bad though, which again I assume is due to Optimus.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Bahn Yuki likes this.
  5. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been running on a 90-watt for most of the time I've owned my R3 OLED (Dec 2016). The average GPU loss is around 85% of full power, in some games it's even less of a loss. I've measure multiple games (it's easy to switch PSU in the middle of gameplay and watch the system shift PL modes). I had a post a while back that went through a few games.

Bought it for 26 bucks off Amazon (it's a genuine Dell part, manufactured by Delta). The considerable reduction in fan noise, and inreased portability (of the adapter), are completely worth the performance hit. The 1060 can struggle to reach 60FPS with max video IQ, but in general, I'm accepting the reality that a lot of triple A games at high/ultra can't maintain 60FPS with the 1060 anyways.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    xxpmrong likes this.
  6. xxpmrong

xxpmrong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks I'll consider the 90w when I get my AW13r3 around August this year haha

*I still have my AW15 with me

7. JaiCho

JaiCho Newbie

Reputations:
    Question: if I purchased the AW13 R3 with GTX 1050 TI, which I've read comes with a slow, non-OLED 48hz screen, would I be able to replace the screen with the GTX 1060 models' OLED 60hz screen easily?

I play mostly fighter games and wanted a laptop, so I was sold on the AW13 R3's CRT-like response times. These of course don't need a super powerful graphics card (although I did want a decent one for shooters i play more casually), so I opting for the 1050 TI model to knock off a few $100s. See question. If I wanted the best of both worlds - less expensive but still powerful graphics card (1050 TI) and the amazing OLED screen, would swapping the screens be as simple as purchasing one off a site for spare AW 13 R3 parts and installing it? Or is there more complicated hardware stuff that goes on in installing a screen with different refresh rate and all?

8. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd say, if you can, return it and get the Skylake version with GTX1060 and IPS screen. I paid just as much for my Skylake i7 6700HQ with GTX1060 and 16GB ram as the base Kabylake model cost. The difference between the two generations isn't that much, and it saves you the hastle of swapping out screens. I'm not sure how easy of a task that would be.

9. JaiCho

JaiCho Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't want an IPS screen though. I said I wanted an OLED screen because they have been tested to have <16.67ms of input delay, on par with CRTs response time. Which is unheard of in the rest of the laptop market since IPS screens are the norm (generally known to have upwards of 2f of delay in 60hz)

I realize the OLEDs have been made exclusive for the most expensive AW13 R3 models for a reason. And it would probably take a lot of otherwise unnecessary work to install. But I wouldn't mind having to put some money and time in pay to installing an OLED screen into the lesser 1050 TI model, so long as it's feasibly doable.

10. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes I know, but it would give you a better base to start off with (i.e. i7 processor and GTX1060) for the same amount of money. I'm not sure how if the TN screen has a different cable and connector than the OLED, since the OLED has a much higher resolution and refresh rate, which needs more bandwidth. Maybe someone here can shed some light on that but I don't think many people here have replaced their screens.

JaiCho likes this.