*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    GC extreme hold up very well

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Geoki

Geoki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would love to know this too. I would try it, but i'm at work away from my lappy.

Does anyone know if the OLED uses a standard IGPU driver? or is it custom because of oled? I could of sworn I have seen someone say the Igpu driver does pixel shifting.

3. iaTa

iaTa Do Not Feed

Reputations:
    Yeah I spoke to Dell's chief VR engineer at CES and he said that's why you can't disable Optimus if you have the OLED as NVIDIA were not able to implement the OLED anti burn-in tech.

I'm not sure how it's implemented in the Intel driver though.

4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Order two 13R3 with identical specs except the screen.
    Swap screen and return one of them.

5. iaTa

iaTa Do Not Feed

Reputations:
    If that works surely it's a bad idea as you're likely to get burn in?

6. espncommentator

espncommentator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just repasted and I'm still getting high GPU temperatures (92 degrees max, stays at around 85-90 after it heats up on CPU performance mode) when playing Mass Effect Andro. Is it the heatsink? I'm going to go for another repaste again tomorrow but I'm starting to think it's the heatsink itself. Because the CPU is fine and never goes above 80 degrees.

I might try to reverse the screw order when screwing the heatsink in, because the order has you tighten up the CPU side first

edit: Maybe I'll try another thermal paste application method too. Ugh I really dont want to open this laptop up again

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  7. FortheHorde1992

FortheHorde1992 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    should I buy a refurbished Alienware 13 R3 from Dell's Outlet or a new one?

I'd love to save some money so that's why I'm considering refurbished.

8. espncommentator

espncommentator Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there anyway to force the GTX 1060 not to boost? Honestly, the temperatures are fine until too much heat builds in the system and the right side fan doesn't dissipate it quickly enough. I don't think another repaste, unless I use LM, is going to help. It doesn't jump to 85-90 degrees quickly, it takes a bit to get up there. This might be due to heat build up and the right fan not spinning 100 percent.

edit: I just ordered new laptop screws so I'll just reopen it up tomorrow when I have more free time.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  9. shutterbc

shutterbc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just to entertain everyone, here is a photo of the poor paste application on my system.

CPU is on the left. It was jumping up to 99C within a couple seconds of load. Huge air bubbles were basically insulating the die like a winter coat.

Onsite tech didn't really know the principles of heat sink installation but I helped them along and they were perfectly nice. Note for others: be prepared to supply tools in case the tech isn't prepared.[​IMG]

Drinky, Vasudev and iaTa like this.
  10. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You could buy refurbished and spend a little on accidental damage, then if something bad happens to it you'll get a upgrade lol