*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Saw most of those reviews, but thanks for the link - the computershopper one I haven't read until just now. One of those links wasn't a review at all. I'm waiting to read hothardware's actual review - hope they get that online shortly.

I've seen both D2D's and others reviews on acoustics and can't quite get an understanding of where these fans really sit though. Computershopper says "they roar" under load, while D2D's actually used a dB meter and quantified it around 45dB. I've seen other reviews though tip the scales towards "fans get loud" - but none of them provided any quantification. What I'd really like is Notebookcheck's review since they provide objective data on every laptop under the sun. Since I've never owned a gaming laptop before - it will be interesting for me.

Does limiting FPS help keep acoustics in check? I don't carea bout anything above 60 - so no need for the GPU to keep pumping out more frames than the display needs. Perhaps Rivatuner?

2. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    I had not seen a couple of those. Thanks!

I really want to see a detailed teardown that puts a lot of focus on the cooling - only an owner will do that as no site will tear apart a review unit that was sent to them

The problem with a lot of reviews where people say it ROARS, is they are used to reviewing MacBooks or other consumer laptops that don't really get hot normally. 45 dBA in the gaming world is quiet haha. That is part of why I watched several of D2Ds videos (Blade which I am familiar with vs AW 13), similar setup for some consistency. About the noise levels, there is much more to what your ears will experience than just power/volume (what dBA measures). The tonal makeup of the sound also plays a big part in how harsh it seems to your ears.

Limiting FPS can lower the load on the GPU which would contribute to lower power draw and less heat generated/needed to be managed. Nvidia actually built this into their drivers for power saving on battery I believe where the system will target like 40 FPS and save power rather than give a maximum effort. Think the feature is called Battery Boost.

I looked through the service manuals for the 2 laptops and from what I could tell the cooling designs are just about identical. That tells me that the 13 with a 6700HQ and 1060 should run cooler than the 15 with a 6820HK and 1070 (although the lower config is an option on the 15 as well). You really just gain the 2.5" drive bay and some IO from what I could tell (and obviously the larger screen with its options)

3. davver99

davver99 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    to anyone in the uk

alienware have a 10% off running until the 9th i bet the new 13 will be priced from the 10th then

4. smugpanda

Reputations:
    I'm tracking - and agree; that's why I want measurements across time. I like Notebookcheck.net for this type of comparison.

I also know most reviewers only have a few days to generate reviews - and largely never get the time to do any sort of tweaking, so I'm guessing I could use all sorts of tools like the battery boost you mention, XTU, or even Afterburner to downclock the CPU and accept performance penalties for the sake of reducing emissions output?

5. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Coincidence cos it's actually released on the 10th to Europe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. davver99

davver99 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    that sucks might have to look into a 15 r3 with a 1070 + 4k panel with the discount not sure as i want the 13 r3 with the oled panel

7. smugpanda

Reputations:
    Not exactly directly related, but pretty close - Lisa's MobileTechReivew reviewed the AW15 R3 yesterday. Comparing internals, it's clear the 13 and 15 are pretty similar. Same triple heat pipe design (slightly different packaging) with dual fans. My expectation is any review of the AW15's performance and thermal/acoustics will be VERY similar and comprable to what we'll hear over time for the 13.

Lisa's bottom line comment is that the AW15 acoustics are just shy of the ASUS ROG GL502 and significantly better tempered than the Razer Blade or competing MSI product. I'm waiting for her written review as all I have is the YouTube video, but she mentions that you will definitely hear the fans, but that they aren't so crazy as to dominate audio coming through the speakers or require headphones to drown them out. So this is great news! Her review also was for the 1070, so I expect the 1060 to be slightly less demanding.

Overall - across the few reviews/youtube videos on the new AW lineup for 2016 is extremely positive. I watched a podcast by Dave Altavilla at HOThardware yesterday as well and that guy wouldn't stop raving about the AW13's overall design, fit/finish, and performance. They all were saying that this ithe first time Alienware is likely really tapping into the supply line prowess that Dell offers to create a vastly superior product to the competition. Dave said that as long as battery life holds up (and he said he thought it will) - he would be picking an AW13 up to bring on the road with him.

xxpmrong and cookinwitdiesel like this.
  8. LoveGamers

LoveGamers Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ordered on November 2nd my delivery date moved back to Dec 6th. Such a long wait, I know it'll be worth it but I can't help but wonder why it would take so long?

9. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you not hard done. Order the 15 + 4K and get the discount. It will prob take a while especially if you make changes to the config. And then look at the AW13 and spec up what you want and price it. If you like it. Cancel the AW15. If not at least you haven't wasted the 10% waiting before making a choice.
    Also I'd suggest people order sooner than later on the 13. I've noticed when -"1st launched the same configured AW15 I cancelled with 1070 and 4K plus 10% came at £1500 whilst now the same offer makes the price £1649 so about £150. When 13 arrives it might be its set price since it's arrived late, but then again it might too also rise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Harmful

Harmful Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    PMF likes this.