*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Nick_pop

Nick_pop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What do you recommend in terms of business/gaming laptop that comes close to the T430 in terms of quality-build and sturdiness and all the stuff that makes the thinkpad SO GOOD ?

I need at least 6gb graphics card memory which they don't have on the thinkpads.

Thank you

2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thinkpad P70. It will soon have the Quadro P5000 graphics (which is = to GTX 1070). It would be sturdier than the T430 and meets Military specs standards.

HP mobile workstations have similar quality, but are more expensive.

Otherwise, Alienware has the best build quality for gaming laptops. It won't beat Lenovo T or X series, but it will come close

Eruocom Tornado F5 and EVOC 16L-18 will have inferior, but decent build quality. But is by far the most serviceable/ repairable laptop out there. It has MXM GPU and Socketed CPU. Blends in with the business laptops, and blows any other sub 17" notebook out of the water in terms of power.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    6GB of VRAM will make your laptop thicker and heavier thus your intention would be Gaming laptops. 4GB VRAM is more than enough for Office needs and preferrably 1050 Ti would do the job.

4. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    The AW 13 has 6GB of VRAM. And the OP never expressed whatm their needs are. Plenty of modeling programs that need lots of VRAM

aaronfg likes this.
  5. Nick_pop

Reputations:
    Thank you
    I was hoping to stay in the realm of 14 inches.

6. Nick_pop

Reputations:
    Agreed.
    But I want the most compact laptop with lots of graphics card.
    I don't mind Thick or heavy laptops. The important thing is the 14 inch size.
    I like the alienware BUT they can't come close to the quality of the T430 thinkpad series from what I have read .
    Unless I can Just get a regular thinkpad T460 and then add an external graphics card.
    But I don't think the T460 has thunderbolt and if they support external graphics card.

7. Nick_pop

Reputations:
    Please note, I do not mind a gaming laptop as long as it is the same quality and toughness of a thinkpad T430

8. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Personally I think the AW 13 is the best in class for build quality at this size. The Thinkpads we have at work are sturdy, but not impressive.

Are you in the US? Go to a BestBuy and play with the AW line (they all have about the same build quality)

The BEST of the BEST for 14" in terms of build quality/sturdiness if you don't mind thickness and price is no object is the Panisonic Toughbook 54. With dedicated graphics it cost $5000 though :eek:

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Nick_pop

Reputations:
    Thank you.
    I agree, I should go to best buy and just get a feel of the quality.
    I would stay away from Panasonic - $5000 is just too much.
    I appreciate all your responses.
    I will dearly miss my thinkpad T430 if I upgrade.
    I might of course have some attachment issues - me and the thinkpad have been through a lot together. It has stuck with me through thick and thin even though at times I have treated it like a piece of hard plastic.

10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Gaming laptops aren't designed to replace business machines. The keyboard is decent but not meant for long hours of writing or coding. My wife prefers it over her macbook's but her typing style is very unique, so it works fine. I've been using it for 3 months now and it's just not as ergonomic as Lenovo or HP business keyboards. Next is the touchpad, which in most gaming notebooks is more of a gimmick than a real mouse replacement. The AW 13R3 is not an exception. Also, you don't get a touchstick/trackpoint which can be very useful for some. Then there's the lack of portability. Even though AW13 is not too thick or heavy, it's not really portable. Yes, you can carry it to conference rooms and take places, but it's just not meant for it. It's not built with portability ergonomics in mind, not comfy to hold in one hand, not comfy to use as a presenting machine due to its port layout. When carrying it you feel the flex and stress put on the cage. It will probably start creaking and lose its integrity after some time. Same thing with the screen lid, The hinges are fine now but not meant for long term abuse. It's solid enough to survive an occasional bump but won't last as long as mil-spec grade business machines.

So there's definitely a compromise. Can it be used for work? - For sure. Can it match/surpass the build quality, ergonomics, and long term usability of a high-end business laptop - certainly not. Still, I'm trying to use mine as such, lol. Will see how long this lasts.