*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The fan on my r3 extremely loud under load. Also the fan often spin at max speed when installing and performing system scans and malwarebye. Is this normal. The whole reason why I got the r3 over the razer 14 was because of the better thermals.

2. Xtreemcore

Xtreemcore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm actually thinking to grab that one instead, but I don't know how much larger than the 90w. So I'm leaning toward the 90w because it's much smaller than the 180w.

3. Buxty

Buxty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you've ever seen one of the Latitude 65w chargers, the 90w is just longer but a similar size. The 130w almost has the same footprint as the 180w but is much thinner and has a cable managing strap.

Xtreemcore likes this.
  4. Drkknightfan

Drkknightfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A little update on the progress post clean install. I finally did update to the latest Nvidia Drivers, put Geforce Experience, and MSI Afterburner back on the sytem.....And so far still getting perfect performance so I'm not sure what happened on the first install of those things. The only other thing I had done was update to latest WiFi drivers, but I didn't think that would effect GPU performance. I was still getting very random signal drops so I just uninstalled the Killer Performance Suite this time, and it does seem better. My max GPU temp so far at stock settings was 78C while heavy gaming between Mass Effect, and GTA V.

sisqo_uk likes this.
  5. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you have 'Performance Mode' enabled for the fans in the BIOS? Also, what are your temperatures?

6. Nick_pop

Nick_pop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can you please help with me deciding on the AW 13 OLED.

Is it a tough sturdy laptop ?
    I currently have a T430 Thinkpad and that thing is built like a tank.
    I want a durable laptop that can deliver performance and RELIABLE.
    Please help me decide.

7. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have an X230 and while my 13 R3 is one of the best constructed machines I've owned I still think the Thinkpad is a little more sturdy.

But it also cost me a lot less than the Alienware and would be much cheaper to replace so I might just baby the gaming laptop more than I do my daily driver.

8. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    The AW 13 won't beat your T430 in sturdiness, it won't beat it in keyboard quality either. Your choice isn't as hard as mine though. The only advantage my AW13 has over my 4 year old 2570p is the screen. Everything else is subpar quality. Still it's a great machine, won't regret it.

9. Hast0n

Hast0n Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I'm turning over here to ask you if you ever had problems with Tobii Aware. I recently installed FaceRig from Steam and suddently the IR camera wasn't working anymore and I'm still unable to reactive it. It is stuck on connecting... I tried to uninstall FaceRig and reinstall the Tobii driver but it didn't work. In the device manager I can't find the Tobii camera but there is FaceRig Virtual Camera under Windows Image Acquisition. On Tobii website they say that reflashing the BIOS would help... It is already up to date, should I reinstall the same BIOS version ?
    Thanks in advance,
    Martin.

Edit : Just Installed the March,16 BIOS update it did not change anything

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  10. Nick_pop

Nick_pop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh the compromises we have to make.
    Can't we have a gaming laptop BUILT like the thinkpad T430 - tough as nails !?