*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    What linux distro are you running? Any issues so far? Bumblebee working fine?

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Use custom ppa to get a working NVidia GPU by disabling secure boot, believe me!, that's the only way out of this. NV is not providing out of the box EFI compatible binaries. Refer this site http://www.webupd8.org/2016/06/how-to-install-latest-nvidia-drivers-in.html
    For disabling SB, use sudo mokutil --disable-validation
    As for bumblebee, I didn't bother with it, I use NVidia prime to manually switch between Intel and NV GPU. With bumblebee, it is a hit or a miss.
    I believe, you know the recommended partitions in Linux. An ESP(Preferably unnamed just set boot code to ESP via Gparted) partition of 260MB, your root partition and a swap file (completely optional, if you've lots of RAM)
    Hope this helps.

Aikimox likes this.
  3. mrmylanman

mrmylanman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use Gentoo. I'm actually probably not done with the GPU yet, but the Intel GPU is currently working.

I'm using Linux mostly for development so having the GPU there doesn't help much.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

4. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the late kaby lake 7700hq/1060 version. When I click on the batter indicator, there is a 1 sec delay before the window pops up.
    Is this normal? Is anyone having this issues?
    Other issues:
    -inconsistent coil whine when on idle.
    -video play back I'm hear some hiss during quiet passages through the speakers.
    -listening to headphones though the headphone jack, I can hear infrequent hiss.

5. Fungus99

Reputations:
    Also my right palm rest is getting pretty warm without doing any intensive task. Is this normal?

6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The warmth under palm rest is the SSD. It is recommended you put a heat spreader on it or a thermal pad.

The delay's/freezing when doing certain operations is caused by Optimus on many pascal laptops. Basically your dGPU is turning on or off to complete some basic task (when it is not needed to). Solutions are to "prefer Nvidia graphics" in nividia control panel (reduces problem somewhat) or tho run an app to keep the dGPU on idle. Others have had some success with cleaning out thier video drivers and doing fresh install.

Coil whine is random in electronics. Seems to be more common in small laptops. I only get it on boot and loading anything with Source engine.

I've never had an audio issue... except for first day I had it. It took considerable force to plug audio jack in all the way, didn't realize it wasn't in about 2mm and audio was cutting in and out. Make sure jack snaps into place

7. Fungus99

Reputations:
    So I need to take apart the laptop to add a heat spreader/thermal pad on it?
    So the electronic noise level is just the luck of the draw huh. I guess you're on of the lucky ones
    There is also some creaking noise coming from the left hinge.

8. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Only need to remove bottom cover to access the SSD's thankfully.

There is a way to get rid of the electronic noise (its generally called coil whine). Its very difficult though. Requires isolating the component that is creating it and using hot glue gun to keep it from vibrating.

Vasudev and Aikimox like this.
  9. Xtreemcore

Xtreemcore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm thinking to buy 90W charger. Is there any other drawbacks apart from reduced performance?? Is it safe for the battery or the laptop itself?

10. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Personally I would go with a 130w one as that will power the laptop without drawing from the battery under load while still providing a reduced thermal footprint and quieter fans.

Xtreemcore likes this.