*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello mate. Before they replace the whole panel try going to device manager and uninstalling the intel video card driver. Then, much further down, also uninstall the "Intel OLED panel driver" (its named somethign similar, in the last section I think). Then reboot and windows should find both drivers and reinstall them.

This fixed my brightness issues. For some reason when installing the OLED and Intel GFX drivers it occasionally disables brightness controls

2. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Urgh those FPS are welll good. Really great performance from suck a small machine. I love my AW 13 as well!

3. Fizaddou

Fizaddou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok so I'm on the latest nVidia (378.92) and intel drivers (4590). Installed latest BIOS.

Still getting the intermittent freezing. Seems to occur more frequently when on battery power.

4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Optimus can be a pain in the butt. On many pascal laptop especially. Stutter freezing happens every time the dGPU turns on or off. Making Nvidia control panel "prefer Nvidia graphics" can help. But hurts battery life

Try the dGPU idle app. It keeps the dGPU on at all times (very low power state) so there should be no stutter with it turning off and on. It worked 100% for my stutter.

its the .rar file
    https://github.com/jobeid/dGPUidle

5. Fizaddou

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply

I have tried that tool as well, it did not help. I am beginning to suspect that this is not a gpu related issue.

Have tried malware scans and have had nothing show up. This is a recent phenomenon but I can't pin point exactly what's changed. There was a windows update that was installed on March19/20...maybe that's it. Not sure. Debating doing a full clean windows install.

I ran the CrystalDiskMark on my 180Gb intel SSD that came stock and got this:

Attached Files:

6. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Full clean OS may work. But before that, did you try a free cleanup app (I have used RevoUninstaller) to completely remove all traces of both video drivers from registry etc...? try that first

7. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Also, you can confirm if it is an optimus/intel gpu issue issue or not by using an HDMI display. The HDMI port is direct to dGPU, so no Optimus. If you have no freezing with external display, then it is intel gpu related.

8. Fizaddou

Reputations:
    I will try this later today.

I also found a way to elicit the stutter. In the taskbar settings, if I change any of the setting there is a momentary stutter that occurs. This is reproducible 100% of the time. For example, if I change the taskbar icon size it stutters, changing it back and it stutters again.

Edit: looks like it happens when the desktop background is changing as well which is the typical presentation of the optimus problem.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  9. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I notice you using an older driver than me. I'm just using the one the one before the latest. But I'm guess like you that we got improvements from a clean install. Nothing any different everyone one swears by
    But I wanna update my gpu drivers. I want that extra boost everyone talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. mrmylanman

mrmylanman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It looks like the tip about just using the regular Microsoft driver for WIFI paid off.

I reinstalled Windows after I had to change the drive mode from RAID to AHCI (so I could dual boot Linux) and just used the driver the Microsoft installation media came with and 10GB into downloading Mass Effect, it's still going strong. It would have cut out about 3 times by now.

That solves the only pain point I had with this machine!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.