*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Go a clean install from Microsoft. Thought it was better to get it there than dell as they update their ISO. And I'm not a fan of all these "forced" updates so rather it came in the os.
    What I think I've noticed is the battery life has increased. I was stretching about 3hrs before. But I'm getting probably nearly 5hrs and it wasn't fully charged. And my battery is 0% wear that can be fixed by letting your laptop drain out. Don't let it go into a sleep state. And then fully charge it. Doing this a few times solves the problem of battery wear. But what ever is preinstalled kills the battery. I do prefer the out the box experience but battery life is much better this way. I wouldn't say my performance is better. My firestrike score is 9929 using drivers 178.49 178.78 scores bit lower but does better in games apparently. I'll prob try new drivers after that cos for me after using it was the reason why I reinstalled os after weird performance drop that didn't resolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drkknightfan likes this.
  2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Try running it without CPU undervolting.

3. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    @ Aikimox, post: 10489252

"Hey there m8, long time no seen. Gratz on your new toy. The hitching you are referring to is a driver issue. Check the above quote. Just do a clean install with the latest Intel and Nvidia drivers, or at least update the factory image to the latest. Should resolve the issue."

Thank you, much appreciated, that did the trick!

I have to say this is the AW 13 I wanted two years ago - and then with the OLED screen (which looks like an amped up TrueLife screen on my old AW 13 R1) I couldn't be happier. The only downside is mine runs a tad hot which undervolting takes care of.

Aikimox likes this.
  4. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yes, the machine is amazing and so is the OLED panel. As for the heat, have you tried repasting yet? You can easily slash CPU/GPU temps by a decent margin. Also, if you don't mind a little fan noise, can set the CPU performance feature in the BIOS to enable.

5. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Tried that. Still no dice. So annoying. Game is actually pretty good for 23 bucks but I am going to uninstall it because it crashes too much. There seems to be many that experience this too and no fix

6. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Some here claim reinstalling windows 10 and using M$ recommended drivers solves the issue. That would suck if true.
    Downloading the game now, will try on mine (Win7).

7. Drkknightfan

Drkknightfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well I did a clean install and just installed GTA V and nothing else but FRAPS. Set native 1440p res and all settings to high and very high including grass quality and benchmark shows nothing under 59 FPS, this machine is a beast and I'm very pleased with it. I don't know what I did on initial installs to bring the performance so low in this one game, but a clean install did fix it. I'm guessing it was either Geforce Experience or updating the drivers. For now I'm going to stay at the 376.89 version.

sisqo_uk and Vasudev like this.
  8. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Usually it happens after a cut scene and then back to game

9. kezown

kezown Newbie

Reputations:

Hi,

I try to install the 15.45.14.4590 driver for the intel graphics but it keeps installing the intel 21.20.16.4574 drivers instead. I'm removing the display drivers and then updating using the 15.45.14.4590 zip, so I'm not sure how this is happening. Any suggestions where I'm going wrong?

10. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

Disconnect from the internet before uninstalling and resinatllibg the drivers. Then reconnect after. Also I believe DDU has a Intel driver option. Might want to run that after uninstalling the old one. Stay disconnected from the internet till the drivers get removed and put on.