*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not the performance for fans but CPU performance

2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I'm using a 0.5mm Fujipoly 17W/m-k for the most part. You will notice that Dell uses 3 different types and sizes of thermal pads (at least my machine came with it) - 0.5mm, 1mm and ~0.1mm. I've replaced both 0.5 and 1mm with 0.5 but had to reuse their 0.1 as I don't have a better one that would be thin enough. Speaking of pressure, I bent the heatsink's arms upwards a bit. You can use a crappy old paste to test the pressure a couple times till satisfied with the results.

Rairch and Digital1337 like this.
  3. nefrusy

nefrusy Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you find that the calibration makes the display look much different from the original? I'm wondering if they started calibrating these at the factory, because I honestly can't see any difference between using my ColorMunki ICC profile and not. Normally there's a subtle shift in the gamma or something... I'll have to run that verification report in DisplayCal and see how it fares against an sRGB profile.

Also, has anyone had serious problems with Optimus? I saw at least one person here return their AW13R3 due to issues with it. At first I thought I was having issues, too, but I think my low framerate issues are from the game being completely CPU-bound. For example, I was only getting 45 FPS on The Witcher 1 in some scenes, and the GPU was reporting like 20% utilization... fans weren't even kicking in! However, in other scenes it's in the 80s and the fans start to roar.

**Edit - I should mention, I calibrated for 6500K white, and 2.2 gamma (pretty standard). Seems like it was pre-calibrated for those same settings since I saw practically no change.

4. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I had similar issues at the beginning, when using Dell stock drivers. Those were clearly noticeable both in games and normal use (stuttering/ FPS drops). Even using the latest drivers, there are some games that refuse to utilize Nvidia GPU unless you force it as a preferred graphics processor in the Nvidia Control Panel -> 3D settings. I switched to Windows 7 and so far no issues detected, but will give it some time before drawing any conclusions.

5. LancerEvoX

LancerEvoX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't really had much microstuttering issues on the 3 AW13R3 i've used. But the OLED one I have some issues where the cursor is terribly off in menus in some games like Overwatch.

6. Drkknightfan

Drkknightfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys my 13 R3 is coming this Tuesday, and I was just wondering if using my old 240 watt adapter from my 15 R2 would cause any problems with this computer? I know the 13 uses a 180 watt.

7. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope it should not. I usually use that when I plan to game but should not cause you any issues.

pathfindercod likes this.
  8. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    As mentioned you generally can use any size dell ac adapter on any dell/aw. I keep a 330watt psu snaked through my desk at work and it stays and one on my setup at home. That way I don't travel with one and I work on a lot of people's machines. So this makes life easier, three 330's have seen as mx11, m14x's, 13's, 13r3, 14, 15x, 18xr2's, 18,s and a variety of 17's...

Darkhan likes this.
  9. Drkknightfan

Drkknightfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the fast reply!! :)

10. TheChang

TheChang Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I use a 240w from the aw17 with no issue.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk