*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For 300 to get 7700 and new. Go for it

2. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey all, I'm a newbie in this thread. :)
    I've already heard about the horrible CPU and cooling issues the AW laptops had. I've also heard they are attempting to partially fix the uneven CPU core temps in their next Kaby Lake refresh.
    I have few questions regarding this matter.
    1-Have new owners already confirmed the temps are looking better, the least? And if such is true, must I entirely disassemble the internals for hopes of applying a better repaste (Liquid Ultra) and getting the temps to a safer threshold? Or is undervolting alone more than enough?
    2- Second question is about the OLED screen, as I am a fan of matte panels. Is the "infinite" contrast and the tremendous response times worth sacrificing the usage outdoors? Is the screen burn-in a frequent matter?

Thank you for your time! :)

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Bahn Yuki likes this.
  3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Cooling was fine in the AW 13 R3 at launch for most (it was still a roll dice if you got a "hot" one) if you are unwilling to re-paste yourself, you can pay someone else to do it, otherwise a gaming laptop may not be for you. the old saying goes that a re-paste on a gaming laptop should be treated like a cars oil change, they all should have it at some point.

If you want to use your glossy screened laptop outdoors; they have been selling good quality 13.3" matte screen protectors for the better part of a decade now. There is no "sacrifice", and this should never be a deciding factor on any laptop anymore.

That being said: yes the OLED screen is amazing

As far as I am aware, there hasn't been a single case of screen burn on either the R2 or R3 OLED panels. Most people buying a gaming laptop are more aware of such issues, so they don't do stupid things that cause screen burn. It really takes leaving constant static images for long periods to get there

SkidrowSKT likes this.
  4. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    Thanks a bunch!
    I'm very familiar with repasting laptops, but not those with AW's complexity (Have done it thrice on MSI laptops and twice on my Acer laptop, I even had to dismember the keyboard to reach the internals!), needing to disassemble everything to be able to perform a repaste; it's just not my thing.
    At least, I'm relieved when it comes to the severity of the rumors about the AW getting unpleasantly hot. I might get one in the near future as I'm one of those who keep their electronics for more than 6 years. I don't think any other laptops are as solid as this little tank. I can quite easily get used ti the servicing part. :)

5. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just played GTA5 and it crashed. Never happened before. Do you think it's the undervolting of -.125ml? The game went into a safe mode and I had to reboot a couple of times the GTA5 to get it back to normal. It just weird it crashed but I guess stuff like this happens. Check temps and there were no throttling and temps were stable CPU 66 and GPU at 72.

6. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    Make sure you're:
    1- Running at a stable Geforce driver.
    2- Your undervolt is stable even under stress tests. In your case I'd just overvolt by 5mv at a time and re-test the same game with the same settings!

7. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

The CPU is fine as I stressed test it for over 30 minutes and no issues. I meant safe mode in terms of the game GTA5. It loaded the game in safe mode basically in low resolution.

Edit. So it looks as though it's a known issue with GTA5. Nothing to do with undervolting

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  8. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Sorry, I've been at this a long time and a LOT of folks using the old M11x's benefited from a decent color profile which was routinely passed around back in 2010/2011. As I said, it's not "perfect" per panel, but it will straighten out the general color shift a particular monitor line has for the majority of panels. I'll post it and people can decide for themselves once they try it :)

9. jedolley

jedolley Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @ThatOldGuy is correct. Not only are the displays likely not the same, but assuming the profile is created with a colorimeter, the lighting conditions you used are likely not going to match another user's.

Folks probably noticed a difference, but it's unlikely they actually "benefited" from anything other than a placebo effect.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  10. jcarl987

jcarl987 Newbie

Reputations:
    After reading this entire 455+ page thread, I finally decided to pull the trigger on an OLED model. Special thanks to Donald at HIDEvolution, can definetiely recommend him if anyone has questions before buying.

Bahn Yuki likes this.