*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Your GPU could be fine, but since heat-sink is shared CPU is heating it up. What are your CPU temps like? have you tried undervolting?

2. Bahn Yuki

Bahn Yuki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok guys been doing some experiments and I have found diagonal screen tearing seems to only happen in OpenGL and Vulkan within Windows 10. I was reading some other places(Nvidia forums) and it's been a reoccurring issue with Optimus and Windows 10. If anyone can see if it's happening to them, please let us know.

Setting VSYNC on and frame limiting hasn't helped.

3. simonkee51

simonkee51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just my personal opinion but I don't subscribe to the religous OLED experience that some are claiming it to be and I have a 55" OLED LG TV in my living room.
    Is it a better technology? Yes
    Do I give a **** when I'm blasting supermutants? No
    Is it worth an extra £200-£300 on a 13" laptop? For me, no
    What would be the diff of the IPS screen being glossy like the OLED? Glossy screens always have a bit of bling but answers on a post card.
    Is there likely to be some confimation bias? Probably, there usually is.
    There was a good balanced comparison on Reddit (which I cant find) where the poster calibrated the IPS to the near identical over colour saturated screen which, according to reviews, is apparent on the OLED out of the box.

4. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Clearly you are not one for whom visual quality matters signficantly during gaming... but for some people they want the _best_ experience possible, and that at this point means OLED.

As you said, in your case the cost doesn't justify it, so I would assume you would have opted for one at the right price?

I don't doubt someone could screw around with profiles and effectively over-saturate an image to simulate part of the OLED look, but there is no way that is going to account for the black quality for instance, or even the "depth" of color with saturation, simply due to the fact the IPS screens lack the color gamut of OLED. I agree on a certain level it is over-hyped (what better technology isn't), but there seems to be a consensus among people who have used both that the OLEDs are substantially better than IPS.

Personally I give about three more years before the venerable IPS screens are finally replaced with something better, either OLEDs across the board or something else, and by that point the better image quality at cost will be more than worth it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  5. simonkee51

simonkee51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    simonkee: Why do you say that? I could hook it up to my 55" OLED. However I would not be so arrogant as to claim that if I did hook it up to my huge massive 55" OLED that I stroke before going to bed every night that you are (in your own words) not someone whom visual quality matters significantly during gaming...

simonkee: Really? Dont think the best experience possible is on a 13" laptop even one with an OLED screen...

simonkee: Yes, I would have but only if the screen was not glossy, was not touch screen, there was some meaningful data re battery life on IPS v OLED. (Especially the latter which was the main reason because I do a 7 hour round trip on a train every two weeks). Also there was some concern on potential burn in, which I appreciate is probably over-emphasised but with "new" technology this was also of slight concern.

Hardly. There are lots of reviews that demonstrate that the OLED is over-saturated out of the box - not an issue though because it can be calibrated or whatever. What I am saying is that the reddit review was trying to visually comparing apples with apples. I think the reviewer stated that the OLED was the better screen...

simonkee: I agree it is better but not at £200-£300 on a 13". I don't believe that it is the life changing experience that some claim. My opinion only - others are entitled to theirs. No one is "wrong". (unless the OLEDs all suffer burn in lol)

Personally I give about three more years before the venerable IPS screens are finally replaced with something better, either OLEDs across the board or something else, and by that point the better image quality at cost will be more than worth it.[/QUOTE]

6. mcneill.tech

mcneill.tech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Dell website states that the OLED display is anti-glare. I thought they were glossy?

7. jedolley

jedolley Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As someone who's owned both and had them side by side, the difference is substantial. You are correct that part of it is that the IPS is matte, but that still counts since glossy isn't an option. Beyond that though is that IPS suffers from bad blacks, IPS glow, and back light bleed. Those are the issues (to varying degrees) on all IPS panels, and in my case I also had dead/stuck pixels and the bezel stands out even more due to the plastic.

For me the ~$250 upgrade is probably one of the more reasonable upgrades on the system.

8. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have mine calibrated with Spyder4Elite. Even for IPS I think calibration is a must. Sort of rolling the dice weither or not you get something accurate. Also all IPS is plagued with horrible light bleed. No matter how good an IPS panel can be its always there is some fashion; just the nature of having a back-light.

9. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Spending the extra 200-250 for the OLED screen was worth it. It's a night and day difference in clarity and it's amazing. After owning the 13R3 with Oled it would be hard to go back to anything else. I also like the shiny glass look over the matte finish of a screen so the Oled was definitively my choice

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  10. LancerEvoX

LancerEvoX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Both the AW13R3 I had were IPS screens. Both suffered from backlight bleed and had a very minor bezel gap along the bottom edge. Other than the slight green tint I had to fix on both screens it looked fine. I'm sure calibration would've done wonders for it but I didn't have the tools and the colors seem fine.