*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Docsteel

Docsteel Vast Alien Conspiracy

Reputations:
    Personally I think there will be, despite the lack of momentum this year and this stoppage by Samsung. The problem is the cost right now and most people have not recognized the difference despite the fact many people have OLED phones (of which most look worse than they should due to no calibration). Better technologies are rarely down for long, they either come back with better production and costs or are replaced by something down the line even better....

It depends on your tastes. If I showed you a non-calibrated screen for a AW 15 R2 or AW 13 R1 (both with TrueLife touch screens) the difference is night and day. What most people don't realize is that theses screens almost always are significantly blue-color shifted and overs-saturated, which accounts somewhat for the brightness (blue seems to be "brighter" for some reason). Once you fix the colors the difference can be shocking, but better yet everything looks better and you actually have less eye-strain over time as your eyes are adapted to see a greater range of colors instead of through a significant shift, even whites look better too.

Even if you're only gaming I would look for a calibrated profile, while it may not look *exactly* correct for your particular screen, it will amaze you how much better it looks, reds for instance look way better in most cases.

I have an AW 13 R3 with OLED on order, and I use a SpyderExpress Pro to calibrate my systems; I will try to remember to post a calibrated profile on here which is the next best thing to having your own calibrator. The internal Windows one is just meh and can't come close to a true calibration. I should be getting the system sometime around the middle of the month so check back :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    aaronfg and ThatOldGuy like this.
  2. Gurusv

Gurusv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your input, iam considering buying the express Pro but it is a bit expensive, might take the plunge if i can get a good deal on one. I have the 1080p ips model so your profile will not help me I am afraid. Thanks again

3. mrmylanman

mrmylanman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ended up purchasing it for $1505 ($1610 after tax).

Specs:
    • Core i7-7700HQ
    • Windows 10 Home (I have a Pro upgrade key already)
    • nVidia GTX 1060
    • 13.3" OLED QHD
    • 8GB DDR4-2400 (will purchase upgrade separately since it's cheaper)
    • 256GB SSD (I have a separate 256GB SSD that I'll use as well)
    • Killer 1535 WiFi adapter
    Can't wait to receive it, Dell is estimating delivery date at March 16 - 24. I'm always pretty bad at waiting but here's hoping that this wait goes by faster :)

Wormwood likes this.
  4. Drkknightfan

Drkknightfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone compared this 1060 OLED model to the 15 R3 with a 1070 IPS Gsync model? I really can't decide between the two:)

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In general, there is no comparison between TN/IPS and OLED. It simply is the best viewing experience possible in today technology. It would be like comparing 1998 LCD to todays IPS

Notebookcheck.net's conclusion was:

"Notebooks displays based on OLED-technology are a significant leap forward in quality: while TN and IPS displays differ in their contrast ratio by a factor of two to five, an OLED display can outperform other LCD panels by a factor of one thousand - and offers a perfect black value as a result. Combined with an extensive color gamut, the picture quality is now at levels not seen before.

The advantages of OLED displays don't end here: thanks to the extremely fast response times, the technology seems to be ideally suited for powerful gaming notebooks and professional graphics workstations, since the additional costs (when viewed as an increase in percent) come less into play. The small disadvantage in power consumption we observed when comparing the OLED-version of the ThinkPad X1 business notebook to the IPS is much less noticeable when the screen content is predominantly dark and/or colorful. We shouldn't forget either that the higher power draw is a direct result of the much better viewing angle stability."

6. Drkknightfan

Drkknightfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:

I really just wish the 13 R3 came with the 1070!!! I feel like the 1070 with this OLED screen is a match made in heaven. The 15 R3 comes with a 1080p panel which seems like overkill for the 1070. I may just skip this generation for the Alienware Models, and see what the next update brings.

7. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

The 1060 with Oled isn't no slouch. The the games that are very demanding on the CPU and graphic card I am not finding no issues at all with FPS of 60 or greater with no throttling whatsoever . Ofcourse the 1070 would be ideal!!

8. cmtzc88

cmtzc88 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey what did you put on your PHC to stable it's temperature. Will that help my GPU? I used liquid metal for GPU and CPU, but while gaming my GPU heats above 80C sometimes and after around 20min it gets a some sort of thermal throttling and the performance drops staying there until I have to reboot the whole system. I have the AW13R3 with i7-6700HQ and GTX 1060. Thank you in advance.

9. cmtzc88

cmtzc88 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey what did you put on your PHC to stable it's temperature. Will that help my GPU? I used liquid metal for GPU and CPU, but while gaming my GPU heats above 80C sometimes and after around 20min it gets a some sort of thermal throttling and the performance drops staying there until I have to reboot the whole system. I have the AW13R3 with i7-6700HQ and GTX 1060. Thank you in advance.

10. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What are people getting for stability scores in 3dMark stress testing?