*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was always intrigued by the Alienware 13 (as being relatively portable compared to its bigger brothers) and GA combination (when at home which is like 99% of the time) so can't wait to hear about your experience with it.

2. Doug2507

Doug2507 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    3. Best bin (Tightest timings v speed) is 2400. Hyperx being top pick.
    4. Evo max size is 1TB. IIRC they have no plans for 2TB. Only the Pro comes in 2TB guise and one of the biggest rip off's going. Add to that when you hit around 70% fill it slows down dramatically, having two separate drives (not RAID, bit pointless on these anyway as they saturate the x4 PCIE lane) will keep OS/App side of life ticking away nicely and secondary can be used for storage.
    5. Killer's been absolutely fine with me since I deleted then installed driver direct from Killer. (This did coincide with a fresh OS though)
    9. 25x25x2.5mm. 5mm depth to too much and pushes on the back tray. (Could always file down, mine is fine temp wise with 2.5mm.)
    10. Absolutely no need for sinks on RAM, you can't overvolt. SSD - 2.5mm depth too much, pushes on back tray. You do get thinner ones or could file down a touch. Guessing you do heavy writes with video editing?
    12. As long as you don't come close to maxing your 32GB RAM whilst editing then should be fine.

Eria Tarka likes this.
  3. Canam Aldrin

Canam Aldrin Newbie

Reputations:
    @Doug2507 thanks for the advice!

I meant Samung Pro, not EVO, that was a typo on my part. But good to know about the Pro losing performance after 70% full, I'll definitely research that before purchasing. I suppose in that case I'll go with 2 x EVO 1TB drives. I was just hoping to get a 2TB m.2 to leave expansion room. I work with 16-bit uncompressed 4K EXR files a lot, which are 70MB/frame / 1.66GB/second, so it eats capacity and throughput very fast. Until m.2 NVMe, there was just no real way to serve useful speeds for that on a laptop (hard enough in a workstation).

If Killer's doing good with their own latest drivers, I'll probably skip the Intel experiment.

4. spiderman4657

spiderman4657 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone tell me if the OLED is worth 250? I kind of want to get it but I heard the 1060 stuggles a bit at 1440p, I am interested in the OLED but since the screen is only 13 inches idk, if it will make a drastic difference in video quality.

5. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Took the plunge with bios update 1.05 despite all the bricked stories. A success, thank goodness. Couldn't be dealing with the month plus turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Let us know if there are any major gains with the new bios.

7. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's worth it. The screen is amazing and, for those titles that struggle at 1440p, it scales really well to 1080p and the 1060 runs everything great at that resolution.

8. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It an amazing screen and although it is small in size with 13.3, you have to really see one in person to see the clarity and the beauty of it. I am happy with my purchase

Wormwood likes this.
  9. Canam Aldrin

Canam Aldrin Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Doug, do you by chance have a link or remember where you saw the info about the 950 Pro slowing down after 70% full? I looked at a few reviews and didn't find a reference, but they also didn't seem to test it full (like everyone used to with spinning discs due to proportional decrease in aerial density approaching outer tracks).

10. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Almost all ssd's I have used and tested generally start slowing down once they are 3/4 full.