*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Buxty

Buxty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nomi92 likes this.
  2. LancerEvoX

LancerEvoX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm still having issues with my Skylake i5 not running the RAM at the correct speed. Both the stock RAM and both the Ballistix DDR4-2400 RAM I have shows up in Bios, Windows and CPU-Z as 2133MHz. Has anyone gotten any RAM higher than 2133MHz to show up correctly? I'm beginning to feel it's an i5 Bios issue. Otherwise I'm beginning to wonder why Dell even offered higher speed RAM speed as an upgrade option.

3. Doug2507

Doug2507 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Seems there's been a bit of a debate about paste V's LM in the past few days so I've gone to the bother of removing my previous LM, re-pasting with TIM then re-pasting with LM. Screens taken for XTU double run, Heaven then CB R15.

CPU set to performance mode, fans stock.

All thermal pads left stock, I saw no noticeable difference using Fujipolly which is to be expected really since VRM's & GPU MEM are passively cooled unlike CPU/GPU core.

PCH has copper foam 25mm X 25mm X 2.5mm HS.

TIM=Hydronaut
    LM=Conductonaut

Keep in mind Hydronaut alone is superior to the stuff Dell is using and I was hitting circa 80deg on Dell TIM.

I've just noticed I've not got a screen showing GPU temp after Heaven using TIM but GPU temp was around 74deg with some throttling.

GPU clocks were ran conservatively for this GPU, core at 180, mem at 500. (runs in excess of 200/600)

TIM XTU 1:

[​IMG]

TIM XTU 2:

[​IMG]

TIM Heaven:

[​IMG]

TIM R15:

[​IMG]

LM XTU 1:

[​IMG]

LM XTU 2:

[​IMG]

LM Heaven:

[​IMG]

LM CB15:

[​IMG]

So, in summary, LM gives considerable temp reduction for both CPU & GPU, most notably on CPU. 10deg delta between LM and Hydronaut alone, never mind the difference compared to stock Dell TIM.

FYI, for LM application, I use a small amount of plastidip on both PCB's so cover any part that is exposed. I prefer Plasti over tape and being a bencher always have some lying around from insulating boards. Additionally to this, I spread a thin line of paste around each chip for added peace of mind that should any LM roll off the chip, it won't go any further than the paste. (I travel with this machine!). Pic to follow...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    selvedge, hmscott and icey_haj like this.
  4. Huams

Huams Newbie

Reputations:
    super nice :D

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    2400 MHz works fine in the i7 6700hq

6. cmacclel

cmacclel Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My Outlet 13r3 Oled just came and what the hell is this bright blue pixel doing there!

[​IMG]

7. Doug2507

Doug2507 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hence the reason why it's in the outlet and cheaper than retail! :D

8. cmacclel

cmacclel Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ya but didn't realize there was an LCD screen there?????

9. LancerEvoX

LancerEvoX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'll see what AW has to say. Another person with the i7 says it works too. Intel Ark only shows as highest listed for both the i5 and i7 as 2133MHz so there has to be some kind of (XMP?) profile being set but I can't see how to set it. I'm thinking it's a bug otherwise I don't see why AW would've had it as an upgrade option.

10. Digital1337

Digital1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "The truth is out there ..." ((:)