*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. PMF

PMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yup, I know all that in theory and can't wait to try it out and report here =) I believe you though, you've been living with that OLED for a while I'm guessing!

2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A little over 3 months. Its going to be hard to go back to something else.

3. izz0218

izz0218 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What configuration did you get?

And if you cancel it will just move me one quote up ;) :)

4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I ordered the same as everyone else (or so it seems): QHD OLED.

It's delayed until December 12th now. Not sure I want to wait that long.

Djangi likes this.
  5. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My order status still holding to Nov 28th-Dec 06 estimate as of this morning. I did get an order in pretty quickly after the page went live though so I guess I'm holding a good place in the queue!

It is tough to wait 3-4 weeks though. I happened to lock in 10% cash back from eBates for this order, an offer that quickly went back down to 2% the day after the AW13 R3 released (not saying there was any corrolation). Without that cashback, i would consider picking up the R2 with OLED and the 965M, even though that GPU is half as powerful (as well as other components). Having read that the R2's fan noise is pretty tame and perhaps less than the new R3, I would consider the tradeoff of performance for acoustics. However, I would end up spending more money out of pocket for the older model. If they offer any better deals on the OLED and shave a couple hundred off, I might pick one up.

Is this for real, the new Blade with 1060 gets 60dB under load?? That's nuts - why would any gamer want something so loud? 45dB is likely the max comfortable fan noise under load for me.

EDIT: Just watched D2D's Stealth review - he was reviewing the slightly older GTX970M version, but yeah, 60dB fans are insane. Although, perhaps th 1060 version tempers this a bit? I can't imagine they approach the 45dB he recorded in the new AW13 R3 though, even with a GTX1060 having less demanding thermal needs than the older 970M.

Acoustic performance is my #1 concern, and like you scook9, the evidence seems that AW13 is better (and it should be considering the size/thickness).

hmscott likes this.
  6. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    I have seen people saying the 1060 is quieter than the 970m it is often replacing but I am not sure the TDPs are actually that far apart. I think a lot of the new gen designs just have better cooling implemented. The mobile 1060 is a slightly underclocked version of a 120W desktop part - so pretty much a 100W part at least which has been top tier GPU TDP space in the past and similar to the outgoing 970m.

7. smugpanda

Reputations:
    I haven't picked up any indication the "new Blade" with the 1060 changes much on fans/cooling. Not that it matters for me as the Blade is priced out of consideration and offers none of the incentives that Dell can (being a smaller company). I'm not trying to act the part of paid schill here as I've had my share of problems with Dell in the past (more on customer service than actual hardware issues) - it's just that the AW13 R3 offers more for the dollar in my comparison and seems to be the "more appropriate" design (i.e., thicker, better cooling and acoustics).

Biggest problem is I'm eager to see more reviews - and the 3 week wait is going to seem like forever so I'm left biting at any little nugget of info.

DrewN likes this.
  8. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    Agreed about the "more appropriate" design part for sure! I go with whatever fits my needs best at the time but as you see in my sig, pretty happy long time Dell/Alienware customer on the whole :)

Really want to see the reviews, these need to ship faster.

9. PMF

PMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you already see all of these?
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/posts/10379554

I'm not sure who has been saying that. The 1060 is marginally hotter than the 970M, and has a higher TDP by all accounts I've seen. Take any system that saw no changes except for a GPU refresh, and as far as I can tell all of them run hotter.

cookinwitdiesel likes this.
  10. smugpanda

Reputations:
    Have you done any comparison between the new AW15 and AW13 R3? They seem like similar designs, with more room for battery/extra drives in the 15". I'm wondering if cooling size/performance is a match for the 13". Folks have been complaining about thremals in the AW15 (can't find acoustics easily) - but that seems to be more on some weird incorrect firmware/reading of the actual CPU temps, not actual problems with thermals? It's weird to figure out, but I imagine a lot of insight can be found in the 15" design. People in that thread report GPU under load is cool, but CPU is through the roof, which makes no sense in a shared thermal system like this.