*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Kelgath

Kelgath Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I am long time follower of the thread and would like share this story:

After the Kaby Lake version was available I finally placed my order: OLED+8GB RAM+ 512 GB SSD + GTX1060. Everything went smooth and two weeks later the notebook arrived. I opened it and liked what I saw :). Booted, set up Windows and was ready to go for the first tests. The first thing I do is to check the device manager to verify that I got what I ordered. Surprisingly, the device manager tells me I got a 1050 Ti. Strange, I thought and downloaded GPU-Z. Hmm, it tells me the same. So I wrote the support and told them that I didn't got what I ordered. The answer I got shocked me a little bit. It was along this line (originally in German):
    "We are sorry for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not get the GTX 1060 cards since they turned out to be faulty. We can offer you a 10% discount or a full return."

What a terrible business practice, charging the customer knowingly he will not get what he ordered. Furthermore, the 1060 is still available in their onlineshop. This does not make a lot of sense....

I responded and will see how this continues.

Anybody else heard about that?

2. mrnotwo

mrnotwo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also received my laptop last week and same thing: it started with 5% wear and now it's 11%.

Now, I wonder if I should keep it as long as possible and then replace it on warranty so I get a fresh battery later or do it now?

3. lavachequifroute

lavachequifroute Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    In the french web site, there is still 1060 available ... You should ask a swap for the 1060 one. (The 1050ti and 1060 have a big difference of perf)

4. canoekoh

canoekoh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    you talking about cpu performance mode in bios?

do you have preferred graphics processor set to intel or nvidia?

5. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:

If you got it last week and it seems as it's the same specs as mine then most likely it was the same batch of batteries installed into the unit. The likelihood yours is defective is high. Monitor your wear level. Do a full discharge of the battery till it shuts off and then charge it to 100 % with computer off. Check the wear level again after starting the computer after full charge. As for changing it out now or later I think changing it out now would be better as you want your gaming laptop to be at peak performance if your on battery. If your laptop is always plugged in then it's not a issue at this point. My laptop is not always plugged to outlet

6. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ive heard of one other person get a 1050ti instead of 1060, and many many people get an AW15r3 with a 1060 instead of 1070.

I would get a full return and request you keep the unit they have given you until they deliver to you what you have ordered. Im surprised noone as sued them!

7. modularcobra

modularcobra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are these issues happening in the US as well? I'm getting pretty frustrated with this laptop. Ordered my first r3 back in beginning of december. Im really hoping nothing like this GPU issue will happen to me, or the 3rd laptop I send back will be the final one.

8. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Second clean install of windows and I still get the lag if I click the battery. Guess I'll be living with it!

9. simonkee51

simonkee51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You guys with OLEDs would using the Night Mode app on Firefox improve things? Changes the white background to black.
    I use it at night and not waking up the missus.

10. Rairch

Rairch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Small update from my dell tech regarding the replacement:

Hello. Yes I was checking it with my colleague who will schedule pickup, so yes, you can keep the laptop until new one will be received.

I will need you to let me know as soon as you will receive new laptop.

Now we need to wait for replacement team.

Thank you.

Got it in writing now :) so just awaiting the replacement team to give me the options to upgrading on the replacement machine.

Might as well get kaby and see what charge there is for the 512 ssd.

Just a waiting game now, looking like it could work out well this....... Here's hoping!

Sent from my Frosty Nexus 6P