*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Nomi92

Nomi92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your gpu gets to 91? Wow. As fas as i know gpus were never the problem in these laptops.

I would aim for low 80s, at least.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

2. selvedge

selvedge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine gets upto 93C during a Heaven+Prime95 test lol

Also who was the one who bought that skin for their laptop? Thinking of getting one too to prevent the ugly fingerprints and oil marks, but was just wondering if it stuck well to the rubberized material? Considering that the area can get pretty warm, I'm worried that it would slowly slip off while my palms are on it

3. Nomi92

Nomi92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh wow really my gpu goes up to 84 max i think.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    With that temp it means that you have a faulty heatsink, I would ask Dell to replace it and monitor the tech that comes to your home to do it (never accept depot repair).

If you want, team LHz can also provide liquid metal repasting services. PM one of our members to inquire about (me included).

selvedge likes this.
  5. Zoonami1

Zoonami1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My gpu gets considerably hotter than my CPU. 80s non performance mode and 70s performance mode. CPU 70s non perf and 50s/60s performance mode. I don't really think it's worth repasting but if I open it up to do ssd and ram I'll be tempted to just do it.

Battery has held at 5% wear through several cycles so I think I'm good there. I'm getting like 4-6 hours non gaming use at min brightness, which is actually plenty bright even in the day time.

Nomi92 likes this.
  6. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Need to make some reference points before drawing conclusions.
    0. Undervolting yes/no
    1. Ambient/Room temp
    2. Notebook Coolerpad yes/no
    3. BIOS fan/cpu settings
    4. Stock paste/repasted
    5. Stress-testing software used
    6. Stress-test duration

Temps would definitely vary. One thing to note, however, after taking a close look at the heatsink and fans, - I'm pretty sure the cooling system can be easily beaten with Prime95+Heaven/OCCT at above average room temp. Those fans and HS grills are fairly thin, the pipes are ok but not nearly great for 45W CPU +75W GPU (1060). It's amazing we are not seeing much throttling.

7. Doug2507

Doug2507 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Found one really annoying issue this morning, if I've got my IEM's plugged in I can hear interference every time a change a webpage. Anyone else noticed this?

Pretty sure it'll just be with wifi....

s4lem0nsen likes this.
  8. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah same here. I did a clean install last night and when I click battery or display settings I still get the 1 second pause as it switches to the GPU. Goddammit.

I also had this weird issue where the brightness controls stopped working. The brightness was always maxxed out. The only way I fixed it was to remove the OLED driver, Remove the Intel Driver, Reinstall Intel and then Reinstall OLED. Weird.

Might have another bash tonight, but put drivers on in order of: Chipset, Intel GFX, OLED, Nvidia GFX, The rest, Network

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  9. HMoss

HMoss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok going in the deep end now, just bought some Conductonaut to be delivered tomorrow with some 3M 33+ Elec tape

Any tips/ideas on what to get to improve PCH cooling?
    I imagine fitting a heatsink to the PCH will be really difficult without mounting hardware

Rairch likes this.
  10. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How you achieving this. I can manage 3 hours...If I'm lucky. Funny thing is if I change it from balanced to battery mode and it only changed 20 minutes. I'd be happy if I could get 4hrs let alone 6 that I'm just totally mind blown with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rairch likes this.