*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. simonkee51

simonkee51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There seems to be 8 or 10 levels of fan noise (4 or 5 speeds per fan maybe?). With CPU perfor mode disabled mine is completely silent until the CPU hits 61C and then one fan kicks in at lowest speed. “Level 2” at 66C and I think level 3 at 71C.If you know what I mean.

With CPU perf mode enabled it sounds like the CPU fan spins at speed 2 as a minimum constantly. Not too noisy for me but noisy enough that I keep CPU mode perf disabled and have a silent system.

Screenshot is of my temp fluctuations whilst stressing a 0.0130 undervolt with OCCT.

CPU mode disabled show temps fluctuating between 60 to 66C (when fan speeds 1 and 2 kick in). With CPU enabled the temps is consistent at about 47C but with constant fan noise (speed 2 I'd say).

I haven’t heard the full fan blast whilst gaming but the thing nearly took off when I put it into fan mode in Bios.

CpWz_003.png

2. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am experiencing my Xbox wireless controller once in while lose connection with the USB dongle adapter. What do you think could be the issue. I thought it was a weak battery on the Xbox controller but that wasn't the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Rairch

Rairch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's great thank you.

As to changing it in the bios. Am I missing a trick here?, as I thought that was the only way to activate the cpu performance mode?

When changed in bios (either of the performance modes) machine sounds like a miniature fighter jet. So always left then disabled.

Cheers

Rairch

Sent from my Frosty Nexus 6P

4. simonkee51

simonkee51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes bios is only way to change performance settings. I get full harrier jump jet noise with fan performance enabled. When CPU performance only, the fan is constantly on (at maybe it's 2nd speed) but nowhere near as loud.

5. Rairch

Rairch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah, get you now.

Yeah whichever I activate, she turns into a screaming banshee!

Sent from my Frosty Nexus 6P

6. simonkee51

simonkee51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Are full throttle fans on as soon as you switch on (with CPU pef mode enabled)? because if so surely the CPU temp is not high enough to make the fan kick in full blast? I'm on the second bios update, not the latest btw.

7. Rairch

Rairch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yup, full throttle straight away. Idle temps.
    Updated bios recently as this was meant to be an issue that got remedied. Alas, not the case! Bugger.

8. Buxty

Buxty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well...this is infuriating, a simple engineer visit has turned into a mess! Get a call at midday from the engineer saying they didn't get parts so wouldn't attend today. Then Dell phoned to say it was out of stock then when I phoned another Dell employee said its not out of stock and the parts have already arrived at the local depot near the engineer place!

Really annoying as you can imagine.

9. ElCobrito

ElCobrito Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I gotta say I played (and completed) Resident Evil 7 at 60 rock solid fps with really good temps, ~70° gpu ~65° cpu (across all cores) with just a .100mv undervolt.
    Undervolting further (mine seems to be able to reach .180 though something strange happens, if I open a game it freezes and requires a restart, but the same undervolt does not give any problem after that) does not lower temps anymore, I guess it's a physical minimal temp cpu and gpu have to reach to get those levels of performance while air cooled.

10. jedolley

jedolley Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sucks to hear about your issues. One clarification though... The onsite guys are technicians, not engineers and they are outsourced to a service provider.

Also, if the parts do not arrive to the local facility by X time in the morning, then the technician will not pick them up for service that day. These technicians do jobs for various companies so they have a tight schedule already and if the parts are late then they have to work the jobs they have the parts for. I don't know if that's what has happened here, but its likely based on the description.