*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Rairch

Rairch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just out of curiosity, with cpu performance mode enabled. Do your fans kick off quite a bit?
    Whenever I enable this, mine just go mental 100% of the time!

Sent from my Frosty Nexus 6P

selvedge likes this.
  2. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I work on my car with wiring and I am just afraid the tape adhesive will get mushy. I have used electrical tape in my engine bay that the adhesive used becomes oily and soft after prolonged heat exposure. Some of the tape literally no longer sticks. My only fear is that the this tape adhesive will eventually become sticky and soft and will no longer adhere to the board. The 33+ used I think Iunlock said had a heat rating of 105F but when a CPU goes past 60 or 70C. That well over the rated 105f.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icey_haj likes this.
  3. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I rather play then do that! Maybe after I test TR playing temps

4. cmykpro

cmykpro Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Received my 13 R3 Kaby Lake this afternoon. Started doing updates and one of them was BIOS. BIOS process seemed to go fine, it rebooted into dos bios screen and showed progress. Then it rebooted to a blank screen and kept beeping 7 times in a row. Called support, reset Bios, still the 7 beeps. Now I get a new motherboard, sigh.....

5. ERdiesel

ERdiesel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Sorry to hear that. That must suck after all the waiting. I remember reading your other posts regarding the difficulty you had just getting your orders to stick only to have them canceled. I would say return for another machine altogether but given your troubles just getting this machine for whatever reason might be best to wait for the mootherboard replacement instead.

6. ERdiesel

ERdiesel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I noticed that randomly when playing bf1 once in a blue moon battery would drain slightly even when plugged in. I would say it's only happened once in the week I've had machine and only during bf1. This also happened a couple of times with the skylake 13 I sent back so it seems this is by design or there is something in bf1 that just draws a ton of power at a random moment?

Anyone know what could be causing this very rare I frequent battery drain? I sssume if all 4 cores are at mac speed and gpu at max speed for an extended period of time this would do it? Also when this happened hwinfo reported power limit throttling. Though in game I noticed no issues only way I noticed this in game is when power button was no longer a solid blue but a blinking light indicating chsrging

7. Digital1337

Digital1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ...and I was just about to ask whether you had any news with your order

8. Dark_

Dark_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I certainly agree but I don't think I'd bother with electrical tape like many others have (despite not hearing any issues). I would likely use either very thin thermal pads or thermal tape.

9. Gerald

Gerald Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think the tape is actually rated for 105C / 220F. So it should be able to withstand the heat. Plus if your using LM temps shouldn't be anywhere near 100C.

3M Scotch 33+ Electrical Tape:
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...cal-Tape?N=5432987 3294355633&rt=rud&MDR=true

10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Very helpful, thank you. I'm gonna try and let you know how it works.

This has nothing to do with Killer suite, though it's a good idea to remove it as it's causing random game disconnects with some of Blizz products.
    I did a clean install of W10 on a new drive, put all the latest drivers. The issue manifests the moment you install Nvidia drivers after Intel's. It goes away when you force Nvidia to be used for all applications. Good news is, the latest driver 378.49 actually fixes the issue for me. No more stutter. Problem solved...for now.

simonkee51 and cn555ic like this.