*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. s4lem0nsen

s4lem0nsen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's pretty decent with kryonaut I must say! whats the temp with CPU performance off? That's my setting... still you are close to my lm temp.

T51 likes this.
  2. s4lem0nsen

s4lem0nsen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Also I am thinking off making ssd heatsinks witch fits the AW13 perfectly. I'm getting a big chunk of aluminum heatsink tomorrow and will custom fit it to the measurement in the AW13.

You'll need a fujipoly 0.5mm pad and this heatsink and you are good to go. Will fit the slots perfectly and use the bottom cover as pressure =)

3. ERdiesel

ERdiesel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Low 80's is prettty good for stock. Without re-pasting you could lower it further by undervolting and placing it on top of a laptop cooler. You could probably get into the 70's doing that without repasting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Zoonami1

Zoonami1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah I tried undervolting -150 and then -100, -150 crashed the system and -100 crashed firestrike. I think I will just stick with the stock volts. I suppose I could tinker with -75 and -50 but I don't really see the point. Temps aren't at a point where they will mess with performance or longevity (really).

My thinking is just to upgrade ram and add an ssd for now, and eventually get a new battery from dell down the line if the wear justifies it (will probably wait as long as possible to 1 year warranty) and then do a repaste.

Who knows though, I do think the repaste would be worth it for the GPU. It is definitely throttling at higher temps. If I could get the temps down a bit I imagine I could keep the clocks sustained in the 1700s.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    From my understanding, undervolting will never crash a program. As soon as your CPU dos not get enough voltage, no matter what you are doing, the entire system will crash and reboot. I would give it another try, as there is no harmful effects from undervolt crashes.

6. T51

T51 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you! It's probably because of my cool 20c room temperature. Nonetheless, I'm totally fine with the results.

s4lem0nsen likes this.
  7. Gerald

Gerald Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When you attach the thermal pads to the SSD do you make direct contact (remove the sticker) or just leave the SSD as is and put the pad on top?

Also, is the aluminum piece you're making is it going to be one solid strip vs. say x3 copper shims? By my measurements 70 x 20 x ~1.9mm would be the perfect size (2.5mm total clearance??? based on 1.5mm Fuji and 1.0mm shim). Leaves 0.1mm for double sided thermal tape to secure the heatsink to bottom panel.

8. simonkee51

simonkee51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    CPU Perfmonmance on
    Fan performance off
    Core Clock +75
    Memory clock +400
    Think I also did a slight GPU overvolt
    Cheers

9. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just got my baby 13 R3. Its beautiful. Immediately checked the cores temps and they all are consistently 60-61. Should I be checking anything else ?

10. JDawggS316

JDawggS316 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I do not want to read 348 pages lol

What are the options out there for 1TB SSDs for the A13 R3?